Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector rebuild- Paint options

Author Topic: Projector rebuild- Paint options
Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2011 02:35 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pulled apart a spare Simplex Millennium and replaced all the major parts. I was going to just throw it back together as is, but i figure it wouldn't hurt to give it a nice paint job. I don't even know where to start. What should i sand it with, and how should i sand it? What type of paint should i use?

I'm on a very very tight budget here, so powder coating is out of the question.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated [Big Grin]

Cheers
[beer]

|  IP: Logged

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2011 03:00 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it will be easy to repaint it. It would be difficult sanding that textured metal, unless you had a sand blaster.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-14-2011 03:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Castings are done with a baked powder coating - You've seen custom car motor builds with glossy rocker covers and such - all baked powder coat paint jobs.

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2011 05:05 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured as such, i just know the boss will say no.
DIY or nothing. haha

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-14-2011 06:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We actually still do quite a trade with 35mm equipment.

Steps:

1, dissassemble

2. strip using plastic beads/compressed air

3. clean in ultrasonic tank.

4. bake in oven at 450 degrees over and over until oil is gone from castings.

5. tape off machined surfaces with Kapton tape.

6. Powder coat using plastic coat in desired color.

PREP IS EVERYTHING

Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-16-2011 02:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Louis on this one! Powder coat is the best route for any poil bath projector. Fact is that since you have a Millennium the main casting may already be powder coated. If it is the paint is NOT gonig to come off. If it's enamled follow what Louis says. Also, call Strong and they will tell you the color number of the Hammertone paint they use so you can get the exact same color if you wish.

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2011 11:17 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent news.
I gave the casing a bath in a mixture of boiling hot water, and paint thinner, took it out, and sanded it all down with one of those "sponge" sanding blocks. All of the paint literally just fell off. The whole process took no more than an hour. I'm extremely happy with the result.

On to paint colors.
I did call our parts manager Sean, from Strong, and he gave me the Hammerite part number for the OEM color, but I'm not sure if i want to use it or not. Part of me wants to change it up, and make the difference completely noticeable, and the other part of me is worried that a lot of colors will look tacky and DIY. Any suggestions on colors? If anybody has any pictures of rebuilt heads, that would be incredible.

Thank you all for the help so far

[beer]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2011 07:22 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pick a color I used this on alot of my jeep parts when i was "pimpin my ride". I bought it at the auto parts store. You just need to be sure and use their primer if you do it.

I've done a few rebuilds on XLs, I've used tape to cover the machined parts on some and on others a very light coat of lubriplate, and just wiped it off after the paint dried.

Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2011 01:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought of pimp'n out a projector... I shoulda done that with a DP-70... lots of acerage to pimp out on those, probably coulda done a chrome hubcap thing on the reel covers... ya know... those wheels that keep on spinning after everything else stops. Oh well, too late now!

Todd Cornwall
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2011 08:34 PM      Profile for Todd Cornwall   Email Todd Cornwall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure to add Spinners and plenty of chrome. If you're going to pimp it, pimp it right!

Ed Alvarado
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2011 10:50 PM      Profile for Ed Alvarado   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Alvarado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well you can strip down the whole projector and take it to a professional have spend some cash on making it a nice custom projector but its gonna cost you a couple hundred bones to do it. but if you do PLEEEASE TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR CUSTOM PROJECTOR!!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-01-2011 07:47 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the lavender pin-stripes!! Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2011 02:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And orange flames! [evil]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... on the lamphouse bracket.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: