Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-65 average lifespan? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CP-65 average lifespan?
Vincent Terranova
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Vincent Terranova   Email Vincent Terranova   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I am a projectionist with the cinema club at RPI in Troy, NY. We currently have a CP-65 in our sound rack, and I am trying to convince the club officers that it is time to upgrade to either a CP-650 or a USL JSD-80, both due to the age and support status of the CP-65 (it was purchased in 1994) and the impending switch to digital projection.

Does anyone have an idea of how long CP-65s last in normal use before they need replacement? And can anyone give me tips on how to convince them that upgrading is a good idea?

Vince

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 11:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont see any need to get rid of it we have many 65s in daily service and they are still very durable and servicable

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 11:33 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one compelling reason to upgrade from a CP65 and that is if you are eliminating film playback and only playing D-cinema.

There were perhaps 15,000 of these sold and they have many parts in common with the CP55, CP200, and CP50.

You have maybe made a wrong turn on your walk and ended up in the neighborhood bar called Film-Tech. [Roll Eyes]

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 12:16 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about a film and Dcinema combination booth using a CP 65?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 12:34 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The solution there is to add a D-A converter, such as the USL ECI-60. Cost effective, easy to install, easy to set up, and allows you to share the processor's 6-channel input with a film source such as a DA20 or DTS player as well as a D-cinema source.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the USL DAX 602 DAC, priced in the high 100's. It's a one in, one out audio convertor.

Vincent Terranova
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 02:55 PM      Profile for Vincent Terranova   Email Vincent Terranova   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have immediate plans to switch to D-cinema, I just mentioned it because it probably will happen at some point. Also, the club has a certain amount of money set aside for equipment upgrades that we haven't used yet this year. I figure that if we have the money anyway, we should spend it future-proofing our sound system.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 03:31 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently have the CP-65 (In my avatar pic) that was in UC Irvine's HIB 100 screening room..it was installed in 1997 and left powered on 24/7 until I removed it in 2009.

I am aware of several locations and a few screening rooms still using their CP-65's.

I feel it is Dolby's best processor ever, and am waiting to see if the CP-650 can match it's long-term reliability. (I doubt it.)

And if you do upgrade to a CP-650 or USL digital processor, I strongly urge you to invest in a UPS (Tripp-Lite makes a good one, I used to recommend APC but their new stuff is junk) and let the processor stay on.

What are your current speakers and amplifiers? I would look at those first if you want to upgrade anything, especially if they also date back to 1994.

Vincent Terranova
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 04:20 PM      Profile for Vincent Terranova   Email Vincent Terranova   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our speakers are unidentified JBL; I believe they are older than the CP. For LCR, we have Ashly FTX-2001s, surround an Ashly ne2400, and subwoofer a Crown Macro-Tech 2400.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 05:28 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, first order of business: S**T can those Ashly and Crown amps and get some QSC DCAs in there. There is a whole 'nuther thread about how bad those amps are!! HERE Not only do they sound like crap (or as Joe R. would say, they sound like ass) but they also are dangerous to the health of your speakers.

As for the speakers, they MIGHT be ok and adequate for digital but you'll need to get us some specific models or pictures.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 07:00 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, why do you recommend keeping the CP650 powered 24/7? For that matter, why was the CP65 you spoke of powered 24/7?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-12-2011 07:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add the Dolby DMA8 Plus to the list of items that can allow the CP65 to have a DCinema life...they also have come down in price a LOT since April.

And Tony is DEAD WRONG...the CP200 was Dolby's best processor, EVER. Everything else is said was spot on, however.

-Steve

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2011 07:16 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
And Tony is DEAD WRONG...the CP200 was Dolby's best processor, EVER. Everything else is said was spot on, however.

Oh god, this is going to be fun. DING! Round one!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 07:27 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Ok, first order of business: S**T can those Ashly and Crown amps and get some QSC DCAs in there.
Amen! Probably the best move you can make!

I think your processor is good. New amps, I think, would be better for you than a new processor.

As the others say, you can get a DMA8 digital adapter (or similar device) to get you into D-Cinema if you need it. Last time I checked, a DMA8 listed for around $3,000. A used CP650 will cost you twice that. You will still need to replace those amps.

I think your most economical move would be to upgrade amps then recalibrate your entire sound system from the ground up. Save your pennies for the digital adapter.

I have a cheap-ass boss. That's about as much as I could get him to spring for if I was in your situation. Seeing as you are at the Cinema Club at RPI, I bet your finances are nearly as tight as mine.

I think my solution will give you the most bang for the buck.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-12-2011 07:47 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Tony, why do you recommend keeping the CP650 powered 24/7? For that matter, why was the CP65 you spoke of powered 24/7?
As for the first, it is a LOT easier to keep the CP-650 on when powered by a UPS, since most people are too lazy to use the front panel power switch. It saves the boot up time, and as long as the booth is kept clean (which we all do here, right?) there is no issue with excessive dust build-up.

As for the CP-65, the University policy for all A/V gear is for it to stay powered up 24/7 (except for video projectors of course.) In the new screening room I built for them though, I do power down the DCA amps, but the processor and AMX are powered 24/7 on a UPS.

The years I spent working at Knott's Berry Farm (where all sound gear is 24/7) has shown that we have less issues with premature failures than with gear that is subject to the thermal and electrical stresses of repeated off/on cycling. So far my own experiences prove it a sound theory, even though it's not "green."

quote: Steve Guttag
..And Tony is DEAD WRONG...the CP200 was Dolby's best processor, EVER. Everything else is said was spot on, however.
Sorry Steve, I disagree. The CP-200 is somewhat noiser (although the upgrade cards help a lot) and the power supplies SUCK!! They are nowhere near as reliable as the CP-65's power supply. (Now as for versatility I do agree the CP-200 was the best ever.) But thanks for the other part. Rare that you ever compliment me. [Big Grin]

quote:
Oh god, this is going to be fun. DING! Round one!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: