Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-650: Undocumented feature? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP-650: Undocumented feature?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-06-2011 02:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just working on my Dolby processor last night and I accidentally discovered something.

If you are in the B-Chain adjustment mode, setting the EQ for each a given channel, you can spin the dial clockwise until the cursor goes off the end of the graph and, if you keep turning, the system will automatically EQ to the curve shown on the oscilloscope screen.

I have read the instruction manual two times over but this feature is not documented.

My system software version is 2.3.5.3.
Maybe my manual is for a previous version?

Regardless, it's cool! [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-06-2011 06:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably a form of "EQ Assist". That said, I was also unaware of this feature.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-06-2011 07:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was after midnight. I had just finished installing new amps and was zeroing the EQ so that I could start fresh.

(I know... not really necessary but,WTF, I did it anyway...)

I spun the dial so as to start at the top of the scale and work downward. I didn't think anything of it. I just spun, figuring that the cursor would stop when it got to the end. Suddenly, the display started doing things by itself. I looked down at the scope and it was practically perfect according to the curve on the screen.

I tried it again with the left and right channels. I was able to repeat the effect several times. I looked in the manual to see if this was documented. It is not. I checked again to be sure.

Either this is a feature that's in my version of the software but not written in the version of the manual or else I have found an Easter egg.

I'm just wondering if others already know about this or whether I really have found an Easter egg.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-06-2011 08:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using the set up software...try EQ Assist and see if it does the exact same thing.

-Steve

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-06-2011 09:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have the software. Tried to download it from Dolby but couldn't find it... Got an account. Logged in to the secured site. Searched around but wasn't able to locate.

I would like to have that software because, not only would it make calibration easier, I could save my settings and have them available if needed.

If the software allows you to access an "EQ Assist" feature then I must have found some way to access that feature from the face panel of the processor instead of through software.

It helps just to know that. [Smile]

BTW: Where do I get the setup software for the CP650? Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place? [Shrug]

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-06-2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a Dolby Secure account...then go to the CP650 section and the "Software" tab.

I believe the current version is 2.3.1.1

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-07-2011 12:24 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an account at dolbysecure.com but when I go there and log in, all I get access to is digital cinema downloads. I don't see any links to CP650 software all all.

Did Dolby change their website? Did I register for the wrong thing?

Fucking digital video is for computers, not for theaters!

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-07-2011 02:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps...I checked for myself and had no problem getting to the CP650 stuff (and DCinema).

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2011 10:24 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, I sent you a link to the 650 software page on Dolbysecure, let me know if it works.
Rick

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-07-2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only get to this page: https://www.dolbysecure.com/cinematech/Default.aspx

I can log in to the site but the only things I can see are digital cinema software that looks like video server updates, etc. I can not find anything on the CP650.

Searching for "CP650" or "setup" or similar comes up empty.

Perhaps, when I registered, I got approved for the wrong thing?... [Shrug]

(Sorry about the disparaging comment above... [Embarrassed] It was late. I was tired and frustrated. [sleep] [Mad] )

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-07-2011 04:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will someone else just download the install file, ZIP it up and send it to Randy already?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-08-2011 02:23 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, PM me with your address and I can send out the CD-rom with all the goodies on it for you.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-08-2011 09:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A LOT of email servers look in ZIP files for .exe files and some will not even be put off by changing the .EXE to a different extension.

-Steve

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2011 10:47 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
send it to Randy already?
Downloaded and sent via e-mail. (not because Joe was pissed).

Tony, there were only 3 files under the CP650 software link. I'm waiting to hear if the files I sent were what Randy wanted? I am not that familiar with the 650. I've installed about a hundred of the CP500, but only a couple of the CP650. Where is Lonny when you need him? (I lost his cell number)

Rick

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-08-2011 01:19 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy: Got your PM, disc is on its way to you.

Rick: I don't recall how many files are on the Dolby Cinema resources disc but I think it includes DRAS and software for the CP500 as well. And the manuals are also included IIRC.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: