Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound tension issue on start up (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sound tension issue on start up
Chris Simpson
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Chris Simpson   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Simpson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all! this is my first post so I will introduce myself first.

I am Chris, I work at the Denver FilmCenter on Colfax (old neighborhood flix) I've been a lurker here for awhile and know some of ya, so hello!

my problem,
we run with Century projectors and I can't figure out why the tension of the film around the sound drum changes sometimes upon start up, and rarely it tightens up so bad the film breaks.

here is a link to the picture I took of the sound reader area.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/Tsaier/bb5abbf5.jpg
this has a normal non tight tension.

Could it be the belt from the motor slipping? I am almost positive it's not film jumping the sprocket. any ideas?

Thanks! glad to finally have posted!

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-04-2011 05:22 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound head drives the projector head. If the linkage between the two fails, the projector can fall behind the sound head, causing the film tension between them to change.

If the linkage is slipping it could be the belt or the gear drive but don't forget to check the main gear at the bottom of the vertical shaft which is inside the back side cover, all the way down at the bottom.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2011 05:57 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards, but a headsup before a mod shows up and deletes your link, if your going to post a picture you need to upload it to the site. That way it won't vanish one day, it will be on the site for future thread readers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-04-2011 06:13 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this reel to reel?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-04-2011 06:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, they have platters. But for whatever reason I thought they used Simplexes, not Centurys. Maybe someone recently did a swap.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-04-2011 06:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the linked picture for the archives.

-

It could be the lay-on rollers not being set to 2 thicknesses of film. If it's more, when the platter pulls it may be yanking the print over the sprockets on the soundhead sprocket.

What sort of platter are you using. Have you been there to witness this happening or have you just seen the result?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-04-2011 10:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they have Neumade platters (they may be labeled as Xetron, not sure). I talked to somene who used to work at this place long, long ago and he said this was an issue even back then. Some machines have too much tension and others not enough. Platters had dents in them that he hammered out and overall it really is a lovely place. I've never been there, maybe I should go over and fix the place up.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-05-2011 12:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..or, the rear door that covers the flywheel is dragging a bit on the flywheel causing back tension, or the scanner drum bearings are dragging themselves...

...we need the ol' fluid filled, dampner flywheels to reduce these dragging startups..

p.s. - back in the booth now.... - Monte

Vern Dias
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2011 08:20 AM      Profile for Vern Dias   Author's Homepage   Email Vern Dias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way back when I worked at the Village theater in Boulder CO. we had some crap Westrex Century knockoffs for projectors in houses 2, 3, and 4, and we had this kind of issues as well.

After a lot of frustration and troubleshooting, the problem turned out to be a combination of unhardened set screws in the soundhead drive pullays and the lack of flat areas on the shafts allowing the pulleys to slip on the shafts. This will cause the symptoms you are seeing and is very hard to find.

Vern

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2011 10:18 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although the platter could pull the film tight, it seems unlikely.

I think the scenario that Vern describes (above) could be a possibility amongst others. If the Century is standard drive, then the diagram below shows one possible culprit whereby the pulley which drives the projector head is slipping, thus causing the sound head sprocket to turn more than the projector head sprocket over a given period of time.

-

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tension idler could be slightly loose causing BE 529 to jump teeth.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-05-2011 07:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Eric on this one. louis

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2011 07:47 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had this problem many times before on gear belt driven Century projectors with varying causes:

As Eric shows - the pulley might be slipping

As Robert says the idler roller might not be set properly and might be allowing the belt to to jump teeth on startup

The bracket (AR-0178) holding the pulley side of the sprocket shaft might be loose allowing the pulley/shaft to pull up on startup which lets the belt jump teeth

The bearing on the pulley side has worn out and has enough play to let the belt jump teeth on startup tension (if this is the case the shaft is probably also worn where the bearing holds it)

There may also be motor issues depending on which motor you have - some from the late '80s had slow start kits (usually a grey box under the motor mount housing a bank of resistors and a relay) that sometimes had issues aloowing the motor to jerk at startup.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-19-2011 03:42 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So...what was it?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2011 02:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that is one crusty old Century! Send it to Louis for a rebuild and repaint! You WILL feel better about it then.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: