Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » NEWBIE ALERT: I just bought a Theatre, advice needed... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NEWBIE ALERT: I just bought a Theatre, advice needed...
Jonathan Peirce
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2011 03:53 PM      Profile for Jonathan Peirce   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Peirce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All: I have just purchased an old twin theatre. We are in the process of converting it to a single. There are 2 extron lamphouses, but no lenses. There are 2 small screens, which we would like to replace with one large screen. I am looking for any advise, links, books, etc...
Thanks in Advance for your help!
JP

|  IP: Logged

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2011 04:05 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be forewarned, running a profitable single screen is difficult. You MUST be unique or have the whole market covered. You also ca't afford to get bad movies. If the single screen I work at get a bad movie were screwed, no way to move it to the small house and get something else.

The other recommendations are doing alternate content, theater rentals, parties, concerts,ect. They keep the money coming in the slow months.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2011 04:16 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jake. A single screener can be profitable but you need to be different than the competition. Hire yourself a booker at least for the first year. Try foreign, classic, inspirational, independent and strong move-over films. A good booker can be very helpful here. Find a booth tech in the area and have him check out the equipment and tell you what you need. Good luck.

Jonathan Peirce
Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2011 05:32 PM      Profile for Jonathan Peirce   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Peirce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies... We are looking at doing concerts, rentals, etc., but I would like to utilize the projectors that are there.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 05:35 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look to retrospective, foreign, independent titles -- those small gems that don't get play at the multiplex, festivals, packaged themed programs that you promote individually -- combine this type of specialized, carefully selected film content with other income like rentals -- parties, dance recitals if you have a stage area that can accomodate them, rehearsal and performance space for local theatre groups, music ensembles, dance troupes who need a home locally -- they will keep the place going between film events. Our theatre is big enough to accomodate large audiences so we rent to schools every June for wall-to-wall graduations. We've even rented the theatre for a weddings.

Thing is, you cannot compete with the multiplex on their turf; as it has already been said, a single screen simply can't do what the multiplex does in terms of flexibility and playing first run on first run terms. If you can book the occassional blockbuster that has long legs and get a good deal on the break, you can do that occasionally, although always choose current tiltes that are in keeping with a distinctive character that you create for your theatre. For the most part, however, first run may just be impossible to be profitable since the terms will lock you into a run that you might not be able to sustain.

Check what other non-muliplex operations are doing in other areas and see if you can struture your operation similarly. I think you will not find any that try to play first run only.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2011 08:04 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to Richard Wolf at The Rox Theatre in Northampton, PA. 40+ years in the same single screen theatre in PA. He can definitely give you pointers.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 09:38 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert is dead on here.

Do not "take on" the big boys; you cannot win.

What you can do is be an individual, develop a following, cater to several specialized markets.

Best of all: do it well. Have the best picture, sound, hot dogs, hot cider, hot chocolate, etc.

Most of all: the best of luck to you. Louis

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 03-13-2011 12:58 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Peirce
There are 2 small screens, which we would like to replace with one large screen.
I am curious to know why you are doing this? What rationale or business plan is making you think one screen will do better than two?

The theatre was a twin for a reason, (even worse: It was twinned from a single for a reason). Filling one screen and 500 seats of one movie is harder to do that filling two different movies on two different screens with half the seats in each. If worse comes to worse and it is really going to be busy, then you can book the same movie on both screens.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2011 12:59 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What theatre did you buy?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-13-2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys forgot to mention the most important part. Don't put much money into repairing your 35mm system. It will be obsolete in a couple of years.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2011 02:38 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out the answer to my own question. The Newton Theatre in Newton NJ. I was very briefly an assistant manager & projectionist there around 10 years ago.

I can understand why he wants to un-twin it. When it was twined back in the early 1980's, they made two very long "hallway" style auditoriums that are far to long for the size of the resulting screens. Not sure how it will do as a concert facility, but it has proven to be nonviable as a first run movie theatre in recent years. I would expect the projectors to be in good condition, as the last operator has a reputation for maintaining his theatres.

-

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 03:08 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, let me take a wild guess as to why he wants to un-twin it --because the twin job was abomination. As Mitchel said, long, narrow hallways with small screens at the end which acted as echo chambers with practically zero intelligibility. And I'll bet they didn't install new seats or even reposition the old ones so after the twin-ing, the seats were aimed at where the center of the old screen used to be which was the left and right hand corner respectively of the twined rooms. More than likely the booth ports were not recentered either so now the angle of the projectors to the right and the left gave rediculous keystoning on both screens. I've seem more that one of these nightmares during the 80s when owners realized they couldn't compete with their single screen with the growning new multiplexes. They ruined beautiful single screens only to fund out that even after twin-ing and in some cases quad-ing, they STILL couldn't compete with multiplexes, ESPECIALLY given the frankenstein horrors that they creaded with these conversions. Most of these failures closed. It's amazing that a few still stand and in the right hands can be restored and made workable again, but of course, not as a conventional first run commercial house.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2011 03:08 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This lot do very well, it's a model to follow for single-screeners in the right upmarket/suburban area:

http://www.therexberkhamsted.com/

Probably helps having this in the old foyer and cafe (assuming they're the same owners):

http://www.thegatsby.net

Jonathan Peirce
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2011 08:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Peirce   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Peirce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for all the advice. The main reason we are 'un-twinning' it is to be able to present concerts. That being said, there are 2 projectors there, and if I can figure out how to have a portable screen (removable for concerts) I would LOVE to show film there. Like a lot of us, I grew up going to the local single screen theatre

The Uptown

which converted to an art house in the 80's. At this point I am trying to figure out if the projectors work, what lenses to buy ( there are none) etc, etc.

The photo of the theatre in 1947 is great, I would kill to find that old sign!
JP

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2011 08:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well as a one-screen owner I can tell you, we would kill to have two screens. If your main revenue stream is going to be from concerts, I can see your point but if you want to make money with movies, you really should try to figure out a way to keep it a two-screener.

Maybe you could "re-twin" in such a way that you'll still have two auditoriums and could use one of them for concerts.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: