Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cleaning Help

Author Topic: Cleaning Help
Jeremy Freche
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2011 06:24 PM      Profile for Jeremy Freche   Email Jeremy Freche   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read up on most topics here, but would like more direct advice. I have recently just been promoted from hourly manager to a salaried projection booth manager spot, after the last manager in projection got fired. i am now trying to piece together everything that he left in shambles. learning how to run the projection booth is not that hard.

My question is what are the best supplies to clean the projectors and platters with? We are using Kinoton PK 60 D projector heads, big sky platters, i have found a kelmar film cleaner and film gaurd, nec 16000 digital projectors.

I have bought windex and micro fiber towels from walmart automotive center to clean the port windows. Qtips, paint brushes, and toothbrushes for the hard to get areas. should I use alcohol on the pad rollers? I am learning most of what i know from ya'll and the manuals.

I work at The Grand theatre 18 in D'Iberville, MS.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-26-2011 07:01 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing you need to know is that we don't allow teaser subjects on Film-Tech. Please edit your post with a subject line that describes the post. [Smile]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-26-2011 07:44 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the port glass is optical grade glass, don't use windex. Use lens cleaner. Paint brushes just move dirt around. They don't clean anything.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2011 09:27 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I managed a CineMark 15 screener booth I used alcohol and lintless rags for the ports. It did a great job without streaks. A "camelhair" brush is static free and does a great job of getting dust and lint off the ports. Film Guard is great for cleaning the traps and sprockets with a toothbrush. You now manage the heart of the theatre. Good luck.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-27-2011 11:55 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pure isopropyl alcohol (not "rubbing compound") works well to clean almost everything in the booth. You need lens cleaner and lens tissue for the lenses and 3D adapters have their own special cleaning supplies - RealD supplies a microfibre cloth to clean the panel or XL glass. You may have coated port glass, so windex or any ammonia cleaner should be avoided there.
Use stiff toothbrush on sprockets, but not with the motors running. You can damage the intermittent or gears should the brush jam in the works. Keep an eye on the intermittent oil levels.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2011 12:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No more replies until Jeremy fixes his teaser subject title.

Jeremy Freche
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2011 08:58 PM      Profile for Jeremy Freche   Email Jeremy Freche   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the subject title.

Thanks for all the input.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: