Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Standard Operating Procedure for Projector & Sound

Author Topic: Standard Operating Procedure for Projector & Sound
Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2011 03:21 PM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to write a SOP (standard operating procedure) for Projection & sound for my cinema technicians. Any samples available ? Any ideas and suggestions is much helpfull.

Ram.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2011 03:50 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In what respect? Many projectors thread differently, so that's difficult to write about as a "standard." Do you mean a checklist of what a projectionist should check before and after a show is running?

Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2011 04:04 PM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are using strong and christie projectors. It;s actually standard of procedure for projectionist on what they should be doing when new movie comes in, maintainance of projector&sound etc..etc...

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2011 05:23 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BKSTS (British Kinematograph Sound & Television Society) has produced a good Refrence Book and is an ideal training aid for Projectionist's and it called "Projectionist's Handbook" and is priced at £12.00 plus postage.

Can be ordered at this site BKSTS

Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2011 05:31 AM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks..Ben..
will look into it...

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2011 09:26 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replace the drive belts in your Christies once a year.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2011 10:10 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might start by explaining the difference between
a roll of PA35/RP40, and a roll of leader, so that some
booth monkey doesn't use it as leader film as I had
some guy do recently on my day off.

Fortunately, he only used about 20feet off of a 200ft
roll, but GEEEZZZZ! (I now keep it in a locked cabinet)

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-23-2011 10:03 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Write down everything you do in step-by-step fashion.

2. Repeat the task *strictly* following what you wrote. This way, if you forgot to add something, it will probably become apparent.

3. Re-test the written procedure by having another person follow it.

4. Each time you encounter a procedure that is not documented, write a new set of instructions, following the procedure above.

5. Eventually you will have a binder full of step-by-step instructions. (With pictures?)

I bought that BKSTS book back in 2002 when I was asked to write an SOP manual for the chain I was working for at the time. I did not find the BKSTS book to be very helpful. Sure, it's interesting, but it's also expensive and quite outdated in many sections. Furthermore, it's very general. You could not really use it as an SOP -- When I think of an SOP Manual, I imagine something that is custom made to address the specific gear and policies of a specific theatre.

Also, let's be realistic - If management of a theatre cannot find it in their hearts (or budget) to provide inspection gloves or a frame counter - for examples - then what good does it really do to provide your employees with an off-the-shelf book where everyone is working in a well-stocked booth, wearing inspection gloves and using frame counters?

Every such instance -- where a manual depicts a "best practice" that cannot be duplicated in the actual situation -- creates a precedence where the "SOP" cannot be followed. Eventually, the whole concept is regarded as useless "lip service" and employees will ignore it in favor of whatever seems practical based on the reality of the situation.

How do you thread YOUR projectors?

How does YOUR automation work?

No automation? How do you raise/lower lights at YOUR theatre?

...et cetera...

An off-the-shelf book won't answer these kinds of questions accurately because it would be impractical for a mass-produced book to be so specific.

I suggest that you create your own manual, describing the best practices that can *actually* be done at your theatre.

If you happen to know that your theatre could use improvement -- and you have the power to make those improvements -- then a book like the one from BKSTS might be of value to you. Alternatively, you could just search the Film-Tech archives for answers. It's free!

Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2011 10:47 PM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By any luck can the BKSTS be downloaded free from any website..just curious..

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 01:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, let's be realistic - If management of a theatre cannot find it in their hearts (or budget) to provide inspection gloves or a frame counter - for examples - then what good does it really do to provide your employees with an off-the-shelf book where everyone is working in a well-stocked booth, wearing inspection gloves and using frame counters?
quote: Ram Sup
By any luck can the BKSTS be downloaded free from any website..just curious..
No comment [Smile]

Ram Sup
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2011 07:23 AM      Profile for Ram Sup   Email Ram Sup   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i get your point...Marco...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: