Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS 6D & Ultra Stereo JS-200 Problem

Author Topic: DTS 6D & Ultra Stereo JS-200 Problem
James Ness
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2011 06:10 PM      Profile for James Ness   Author's Homepage   Email James Ness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So very randomly it seems, the formats will keep switching back and forth from SR to Digital continuously, I thought it was problem with one of the drives. Drive B hasn't worked correctly for a while so we would just use Drives A & C, it seemed as though this was only happening during the second disc of the movie, I replaced drive C with a new replacement drive from DTS, same problem. Gets to the 2nd disc and goes nuts. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-20-2011 09:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like an issue in the player when you replaced the drive are all 3 drives the same?

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a DTS-6D with a bad “B” drive using drives “A” and “C”. You installed a new drive in “C”? Is “B” still bad? Did you move C to B?
Your problem has nothing to do with the feature “B” disc itself, chances are if you flipped the A and B discs around the A disc would now have a problem.
If the DTS-6D plays fine on a certain drive but starts bouncing back and fourth on another drive your problem could be the addressing on the drives,
Some suggestions: If you received a drive from DTS, check the instructions that should have come with this drive, make sure the drives are correctly addressed as per the instructions.
Once you have confirmed correct addresses for each drive, play the feature, observe the Timecode on the reader head or player, is it steady or flashing/blinking?
The LEDs will usually give you a good idea what’s going on, as a quick review the Top Green LED when on, indicates the DTS 6D is outputting audio, the next LED Timecode, is the same as looking at the green LED on the reader head, this indicates timecode reading off the film, it should be solid while playing a DTS feature, occasional blinks are ok but if more than that further investigation needs to be done such as reader head alignment, voltage, print, etc. The CD-ROM led is a simple indication that the drive is active, looking at the LED’s on the drives themselves will tell you more of what’s going on, last the System LED, once you load discs and the system has booted up, this LED should blink, it should always blink, if it ever stays goes solid during a feature playback there is a problem, which could be many different things, drive issues, board or system failure.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-21-2011 01:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Gord since one drive changout might have a different firmware version compared to the other two and you get arguement issues between all drives.

Is the jumper setting in the back of the drive assigned correctly - which would be "0-2-4" for the "C" drive?

Just like changing out sparkplugs or struts - do them in sets to keep the balance.

-Monte

James Ness
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2011 02:14 AM      Profile for James Ness   Author's Homepage   Email James Ness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i set the jumpers to assign it as Drive C before installing. This problem occurred prior to me changing the drive out, since we only use Drives A & C and it seemed like it was only messing up during the 2nd disc in Drive C that the problem was with the drive, thats why I changed it out.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2011 12:47 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also possible that you have a bad SCSI cable. Swap drives A and C, reassigning the jumpers for addressing and termination accordingly. Run a show and see if the problem follows the drive.

James Ness
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2011 04:22 PM      Profile for James Ness   Author's Homepage   Email James Ness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, i'll give that a try and post the results. Thanks.

James Ness
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2011 05:04 PM      Profile for James Ness   Author's Homepage   Email James Ness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moved the replacement drive to B and moved the bad drive from B to C. Seems to have done the trick, I'm thinking it was the bad drive in slot B causing issues with drive C via the SCSI cable seeing as how it goes through both A&B before it hits C.
Thanks for your help everyone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: