Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-650 Optical Hookup

Author Topic: CP-650 Optical Hookup
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-07-2011 11:12 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finally replacing the Smart MOD II-B processor in my booth with a Dolby CP-650. [Smile]

I have a question on hooking up the lines to the projector:

When hooking up the DC power for the optical reader (Comp. Eng.) must I hook them to the CP-650 processor or is it all right to leave them hooked to the separate C.E. LS-30 power supply?

Either way, I'll still need the LS-30 to power the LED so, logistically, it's a horse apiece. Isn't it?

However, it is my assumption that "All roads lead to Rome" (or "All grounds lead to the CP-650" [Wink] ) is the best choice.

I am guessing that either way is "acceptable" but hooking to the processor is better.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-07-2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always used the outboard supply. Be sure to wire the supply from the motor feed so that it goes off when not in use. This will extend the life of the led. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-07-2011 05:49 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LS-30 has an inhibit pin to give the option of turning off the LED.

The 650 power was put in at the request of the European projector manufacturers.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-07-2011 06:05 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I still have to power the LED with this supply, I left it as-is.

I will look into the inhibit feature. Even though I don't put a whole lot of hours on the LED, as it stands, there's no reason not to do it if it is as simple as running a piece of wire from Point-A to Point-B.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-07-2011 06:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam...it is the LS40 that has the inhibit connector. For the 30 series (my favorite), you have to kill power to the card cage.

I would recommend using the LS30 supply for the reader, period. CE floats their reader. You should absolutely ground the reader to ROME...er the CP650. We normally run a separate grounding wire (18awg, typ.) between the reader and the processor. We then float the shield at the reader end but bond at the processor end. The reader is provided a reference and the electrostatic shield gets to do its job.

-Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: