Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Set the dwell (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Set the dwell
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2011 05:09 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
+ make sure pull-down is at dwell when threading "in frame".
This was a note from Phil in another thread, which put me in mind of a recent "incident" here.

There's a guy who used to manage this theatre and is willing to come in a night or two a month to give me a day off in the booth.

Since his days, I've changed from a platter to a spool tower, and added DTS. So, he came over for some intro/review on the equipment.

I showed him how the feed/rewind setups for the tower, went over the threading path, etc.

I walked him through the threading, including setting the dwell. Showed him how to advance the frame by hand to check gross framing, etc. He did fine.

When it was showtime and he actually hit the start button, he then immediately made a grab for the framing knob!

"STOP, STOP, what are you doing?!?!," says I.

"In case it's out of frame," says he.

So I explained how setting the dwell properly would mean that a film should never start out of frame. He commented that when the theatre was run by the former operators, framing was almost always wrong and they had to rack the framing knob on virtually every show!

The people that used to run this theatre have a local reputation with the public as being a "classy" art film house, but their presentation is generally described as horrible. I know of a couple of theatres that won't even take prints that have been run by them.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-04-2011 05:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..got one better: I know of a poorly run 5plex in another state where the booth personnel, when doing trailer paks, have to crank the framer per every trailer presentation since they don't know anything about frame lines at the beginning and end of the trailers..

When the previous manager who is now their IT person, put a movie together for them, they bet him 20 bucks that his trailer pak would be out of frame ... and he won that 20 due to his pak presentation was perfect. They ask him how he did it and he showed them .. "Gee, we were never shown that...!"

Funny is that the present manager used to work at another theatre as a booth monkey, yet he knew how to splice in frame...

.Oh, that manager is gone now and they finally have someone decent in there to do trailer paks (with yellow tape-that is all they know on what to use..)

-Monte

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2011 05:43 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the same issue with former booth operators from other theatres. No one ever showed them how to set the intermittent at the "dwell" or "rest" position BEFORE loading the film into the gate and then pulling it down a few frames to double-check framing before starting the show. Trying to break bad habits is one reason why I now avoid hiring former booth operators. I'd rather take someone who has zero booth experience and train them.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-05-2011 08:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So...would you never even consider someone with previous booth experience?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-05-2011 08:14 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a projectionist who learned at Carmike. He said no one had ever explained how to set the dwell. Which is why I train all of my projectionists, no matter how much experience they have.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-05-2011 09:01 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you already looking for another job Manny?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-05-2011 09:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess his work is almost done [Wink]

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2011 11:49 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I know of a poorly run 5plex in another state
Oh come on Monte - spill the beans.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2011 12:35 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
So...would you never even consider someone with previous booth experience?

Wouldn't say never, I just try to avoid it, unless their references check out or I have some personal knowledge of the training of the theatre(s) they are coming from. And maybe if I recognize the person's name as being some one who contributes to these boards and is well respected. So yeah, you could be a strong contender. [Big Grin]

I also have some basic booth operations questions I ask during the interview to gauge what kind of training they've had.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2011 03:10 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When training new operators, not only do I constantly preach "RESET THE INTERMITTENT" before threading, but also demand that they advance the flywheel several frames after their thread is completed. These were old habits I learned from my changeover days many moons ago. It was considered a sin to come in out of frame.

If you beat this into their heads, there is absolutely NO excuse to come in out of frame, or for that matter, chowder a leader.

Speaking of the old days, I had heard that if you came in out of frame at Radio City Music Hall just once, you had a quick ticket out the door. Any truth to that? Maybe some of our older members who worked in the IATSE New York City local could confirm or refute.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-06-2011 03:17 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know old "pros" that worked 40-50 years and never had an out-of-frame either on startup or during the reel. Messing up was unthinkable and if you did you would be razzed for decades.

My job was to service their equipment. Half of my "old pros" would wipe my finger prints off the door knobs when I left. I knew better than to touch a projector other than at the door knob or pad roller handle. Louis

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2011 04:16 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Setting the dwell" is new-speak to me. We always referred to it as "setting the intermittent".

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2011 06:46 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I harp about this problem all the time at my theatre. Yet, every day when I work, I find that the Ultramittent has been moved either to the top or bottom of its bore. I move them back to center, and go from there.

The only people there that start films in frame every time, like I do, are the people that I trained personally.

As for building prints in frame, I build everything, so there is no problem there.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2011 12:27 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
"Setting the dwell" is new-speak to me. We always referred to it as "setting the intermittent".
I guess to be accurate, one should say, "Set the intermittent to its dwell, or rest, position." [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-16-2011 01:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce McGee
I harp about this problem all the time at my theatre. Yet, every day when I work, I find that the Ultramittent has been moved either to the top or bottom of its bore.
There can be an easy fix: take the FRAME knob off, and with a Christie, there is no backside frame knob like there is on the Simplex.

That might teach them to "lock the sprocket" before lacing up the machine.

...or, go to digital and get the movies on autoscheduler...

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: