Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP55 help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby CP55 help
Tom Wise
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Tom Wise   Email Tom Wise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
A friend of mine has recently taken over a small cinema and asked me to take a look at the sound system. Following an initial inspection of the gear I noticed that the backplane of their CP55 had been modded. My background is in the pro-audio industry (live bands etc.) so I have a good idea what most of the equipment does, however my knowledge of cinema-specific kit is limited, so I was hoping someone here may be able to assist me in identifying what exactly has been done to the unit.

-
Fullsize image (c.567kB)

After some brief Googling on the subject it looks like there are a few mods available for CP55's, although none that I have found seem to match what has been done to this unit. I understand that some mods require changes to the cards, which I didn't know or think to check last time I was there. I can go and take photos of these as well if the attached photo is not enough to go on.

Any assistance or links to information would be gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance,
Tom

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-03-2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The red wire in your drawing is for the Cat 222SR/A modification.

The non-red wires (could be gray, could be white) are for the Cat 441 modification found in the DA10 or DA20 manual.

-Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 12:48 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP55 backplane has been modified to install a Cat. No. 441 in place of the 241. The point of this mod is to allow stereo surrounds as well as an external subwoofer input for use with SR.D and/or DTS/SDDS.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-03-2011 12:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeeez Sam, you're slow!

The most scary thing on this CP55 are the bypass relays...they are the cursed STC white relays...known the world over for dropping out signals. Reference Dolby Field Bulletin 161.

-Steve

Tom Wise
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 01:29 PM      Profile for Tom Wise   Email Tom Wise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve & Sam - many thanks to you both for the quick responses and invaluable information. I will try and absorb the manuals before going to have another look at the system. It's an exciting learning curve!

@Steve - thanks also for the tip-off about the relays. Any chance you could point me in the direction of FB-161? I couldn't find it in the Equipment Manual Warehouse.

Tom

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-03-2011 02:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, FB161 predates the fancy schmancy PDF world...however, I suspect that you might see it appear in the up coming weeks...just a hunch.

-Steve

Tom Wise
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 05:36 PM      Profile for Tom Wise   Email Tom Wise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it...

Tom

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 06:37 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

It's earlier out here and you hadn't yet posted when I began my thoughtful reply so excuse me. [Wink]

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-03-2011 08:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-05-2011 12:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess nobody noticed FB161 was added to the warehouse yesterday. [Razz]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2011 07:30 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Brad,

I caught it in the header for newly added posts.

Even though there was a warehouse additions header in the original page, this is a more complete listing feature.

Thanks
KEN

Tom Wise
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2011 03:27 PM      Profile for Tom Wise   Email Tom Wise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad. I was actually out at the cinema yesterday so didn't notice the new file. I'll give Dolby a call and see if I can get some replacements before the STC's give up.

As for the CP55, turns out it has neither a Cat 241 or 441 installed, so I guess that means no stereo surrounds, even with the backplane modification. Another thing to add to the shopping list...

Tom

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-05-2011 07:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, no stereo surrounds, no subwoofer and no "EQ" on the mono surrounds you have left.

Good luck on the STCs...This is a bulletin that dates back about 25-years. Dolby has formally announced the discontinuation of support for the CP55 (and the other analog processors except the CP45).

A good (better actually) substitute relay is an OMRON G5V series. It is a 24VDC relay. They make three relays in that model and voltage...the difference is the coil resistance. It shouldn't matter which you use...the lower current relays taxing the 24V rail just a bit less.

-Steve

Tom Wise
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2011 05:22 PM      Profile for Tom Wise   Email Tom Wise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the relay info. I guess that trying to obtain a new Cat 441 card from Dolby is also going to be a dead-end. Apart from the Classifieds board here at Film-Tech, are there any other potential sources of cards for these old processors? Alternatively, are the schematics available?!

I can live without the EQ as it can be done further down the signal path, but the lack of split surround and sub outputs is a bit of a problem.
Does the lack of a subwoofer mean that the L, C & R channels are not being delivered in full-range (i.e. are the LCR outputs high-passed to cross-over with the subwoofer)?
Sub-question: Is this the case whether a Cat 241/441 card is installed or not (i.e. does the removal of the card switch the main outputs to full-range)?
Apologies for going off-topic. I can start another thread if this is deviating too much from the original thread title.

Tom

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-06-2011 05:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The stage channels are always full range the sub foroptical is properly called optical bass extension(OBE) and is the sum of the Lt and Rt from the optical preamp it is passed through a filter and a downward expander and then a parametric eq

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: