Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon Cathodes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Xenon Cathodes
Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2010 08:25 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else recycle the tungsten from their bulbs? Seems to be a foreign idea to anyone I've talked to but there is a significant amount, especially in those bigger bulbs.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2010 11:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know several people that used to save them but ended up tossing them because the recycled tungsten price was not worth all the effort. Sometimes there are other alloys mixed in with the tungsten and some of them may also be doped with radio active Thorium....

Mark

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2010 11:10 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does take some time to collect enough to make the trip to the recycling center. I don't know if different bulb manufactures use different alloys but the LTI bulbs which we use are about 85% according to the recycling center. The price of Tungsten varies on a daily basis, but I usually get $15-$20 per pound. It's not a huge amount but it does pay for some extra supplies every now and again. I haven't heard about the thorium though. I'll let you know if I begin sprouting random bits from that exposure.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2010 04:39 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burn 4 to 6K LTI bulbs in your digital units and you can fill the gas tank per visit to the recycle.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2010 06:15 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the only thing I like about our sony 4k [thumbsup]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-03-2010 12:57 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure things are different now, but in the late 80's when I was a tech with RCA, I used to collect all the old bulbs that theatres didn't want, have a lot of fun breaking them, then saving the electrodes. After accumulating close to 200lbs of tungsten, I couldn't find ANY places here in the L.A. area that would recycle them!!

They ended up in the trash.

Nowadays I don;t service enough theatres to resume the collection effort, and don't know if there are any places accepting tungsten here either.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2010 09:47 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha Ha Tony!
I'm laughing WITH you not AT you, because I did
something very similar once.

Also, I remember back in the good 'ol carbon arc
days, we'd save the copper drippings from the
carbons. Over the course of a year we'd wind up
with several coffee cans full of copper nodules.

Once a year someone from the union would go
around to all the theaters & collect the cans.
I think all the money was donated to either the
Will Rodgers fund or some children's hosptial.

Also, I do think the cathodes contain a small
amount of thorium. I can get a reading off of
an old one with a geiger counter, but it's not
much above the background radation level.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it's thorium? It would make sense if it is but the cathode also goes through beta decay while operating. Ionizing it to a small extent.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2010 09:50 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chase Pickett
Are you sure it's thorium?
No. But I get a definite hit on the counter, and
I seem to recall reading in a detailed technical
paper about the manufacturing of Xenon lamps that
the there was a small amount of it (thorium) in
the the cathodes, but I don't remember why.

(I don't remember why it was used in cathodes,
not why I read the paper! [Roll Eyes] )

I know for sure thorium was used to dope the
filaments in incandescant light bulbs and
high-power vacuum tubes. In the case of the
vacuum tubes it facilitated electron emission.

Perhaps it it was used for a similar reason in
Xenon cathodes.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-05-2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that it (thorium) migrates and is necessary to get the bulb started. (bad series of events with Hanovia when they bought Strong.) Louis

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-07-2012 11:51 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 580 days since the last post.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 11:51 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recycled a bunch of old lamps today.

We were cleaning out the booth at the Tom Ridge Center and I ended up with nine old, dead 6,000 watt lamps.

Took them home and busted them in the garage.
Used a large screwdriver and a hammer. Just punched the screwdriver through the cardboard box and the foam rubber until it contacted the glass. One rap with a hammer on the handle of the screwdriver and, "Pop!"

Wearing a pair of leather work gloves and some eye goggles, took the hammer and busted all the glass away from the metal. Separated the tungsten from the steel and put the glass chips in the trash.

Each lamp had about a 1/2 kg. of tungsten. Ended up with a little under 8 lb. There was about 2 lb. of stainless steel in the lot.

The scrapyard pays for stainless by the ton. Only got about a dollar for that but the tungsten brought $8.00/lb.

The whole project made $65.00.

Split the proceeds 50/50 with the boss.
The rest goes into the projection booth slush fund. [Wink]

Just don't tell the guy at the scrapyard that the tungsten might be doped. [evil]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 12:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard that the anode ends are the ones you want to recycle where the cathode ends, being laced with thorium .. just toss them.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 01:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't differentiate. I put everything in a plastic bucket and just handed them over. Anodes, cathodes, the rods and all.

I gave the bucket to the guy at the scale and said, "Tungsten." He didn't know what it was so he called the supervisor. He took one of the pieces out of the bucket, tossed it in his hand to feel the weight and looked it over. "Yup, tungsten," he said.

They listed it as "Tungsten/Carbide" on the scale ticket. Knowing that some or all of it was either alloyed or doped, I didn't quibble.

I checked prices for scrap metal on the internet before I took the stuff in. The market price for "tool grade" tungsten-carbide is about $12.00/lb. Low grade "scrap/other" is about $9.00 or $10.00/lb

Taking into account the scrapyard's overhead, I got 80% of the scrap price or 70% of the tool grade price. Not a bad deal for either side when it all comes out in the wash.

Like I said, since I know what the content of that metal is likely to be, I was not about to make a stink over $2.00/lb.

I took my money and got the hell out of there.
I didn't even ask for my bucket back, seeing as it was radioactive. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Wink]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-08-2012 06:50 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 6192F melting temp of tungsten might be a detriment to its recycling.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: