Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » xenon bulb explosion / ORC lamphouse damange (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: xenon bulb explosion / ORC lamphouse damange
Brian Jupp
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 03:56 AM      Profile for Brian Jupp   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Jupp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we had a xenon bulb explosion in one of our projectors. The bulb is an Osram XBO 3000w HS that I installed just last week. It had 32 hours on it. Installation went perfect and the light on screen was perfect. Bulb voltage and amperage was in spec. We have never had any bulb problems before. The exhaust fan is working properly.

The equipment is an ORC Optimax II-S Console with a DV-3000 lamphouse with XPS-30 power supply. The metal aspheric collector has numerous scratches and marks from the explosion. The 45 degree mirror is made up of two pieces. One of the pieces is damaged, the other looks ok.

Where do I go from here? Should the collector be replaced? Where can I get a replacement mirror? Should I have any part of the power supply tested?

Thanks!

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 04:14 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To start looking for the problem, I would first inspect the bulb that exploded. Well what's left of it. I had a bulb explode in a sony 4k two or so weeks ago (taking out the $8,000 or so reflector,)and when I looked at what was left, we figured that the envelope wasn't sealed properly, letting xenon escape, and allowing air to contaminate inside the bulb. It only had 40 hours or so on it as well. One sign was the anode/cathode were discolored (a bluish green color.) If you notice something with the bulb then you may have found your culprit. If not, break out the multimeter. Lesson learned. Thoroughly inspect each bulb going in. Just wish it wasn't such an expensive lesson.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 07:42 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would send the bulb back and get your reflector and 45 degree mirror replaced under warranty (as well as a new bulb). 32 Hours is extremely low there must have been a manufacturing defect.

Chase Pickett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 08:23 AM      Profile for Chase Pickett   Email Chase Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what it looked like. Notice the Cathode.
 -

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 08:59 AM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There may be a warranty claim form in the lamp box, if so fill it out as best you can and follow any directions listed.

Another good place to start is the dealer who sold you the lamp - they should be able to help expedite a warranty replacement as well as track down a new reflector and folding reflector.

Osram will assess all the peices and if they deny the warranty claim they will give you a reason that might point to the problem.

I used to run a booth with those exact lamphouses as well as service a company full of them - we used the ORC lamps XM3000HS at first but found that a significant number of them expired early usually due to the anode seal cracking and some exploding, once we switched to the H/VC version we no longer had early lamp expiration or explosion issues. The H/VC lamp is longer than the HS, the envelope is the same but the contacts around the seals are simply longer - in our case the anode seal was not getting sufficiently cooled and the seal was cracking, switching to the longer lamps gave more surface area to dissipate the heat.

One thing to check is the fan blowing across the anode seal - it cools the anode seal.

If you do switch to a longer lamp you will need to remove the brass adapter on the cathode in order for the longer lamp to fit.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-30-2010 09:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad... this occasionally does happen. The last 3kw lamp I had explode was a Christie CXL-30 some years back. Sometimes this is all related to rough handling in shipment and sometimes it's just a plain defective lamp. Always carefully inspect a brand new lamp for any damage before installation. Osram will certainly cover the lamp and reflectors under warranty...

Also next time buy the Osram XL lamp instead... a much better product with a much longer 100% warranty then anyone else in the industry.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-30-2010 10:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And the opinion changes again. [Roll Eyes]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-30-2010 10:58 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the manufacturers' warantee's usually cover colateral damage such as mirror replacement? Common sense would tell you that a defective lamp that explodes is the manufacture's fault and so he should be responsible for whatever other damage his defective product causes. But then again, cynical sense would tell you that they make sure there is fine print whcih exempts them from any such responsibility.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-30-2010 12:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No opinions have changed here.... [thumbsup]

Mark

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 12:05 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the warranty detail on the lamps we use state that it covers the reflectors, but if I remember correctly there is an exemption for older reflectors where they only pay a pro-rated amount for the replacement cost - I forget the details as we have never had to claim collateral damage from a lamp explosion, the most recent claim we had was well over a year ago and it seemed that there was a possible bad run of lamps since the claims were all the same size lamps ordered around the same time.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-30-2010 01:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your problem will be sourcing the oblique reflector. The"normal" reflector can be recoated/polished.(Ultraflat)
Strong no longer supports ORC products.

Thus, the value of a spare reflector.

btw: Mark "likes" Osram now?? Louis

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2010 02:43 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did visit one cinema few weeks ago, guy told me they installed two Osram 1600W HSC, they failed to ignite after 20-30 hours, i think they even go dimmed, they sent them back for warranty and they get back new, someone told them there was some new lamp testing in Osram and they did probably get bad pieces.....don't know how much truth there is in this, but I hear it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-30-2010 05:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis...

Just the X-L lamps... you couldn't give me a standard Osram lamp for free. The rest of the Osrams are as crappy as ever. I've had exactly the same luck with Osram X-L as I have with Christie/Ushio. The Osrams are cheaper by far and much longer 100% warranty. I have over 70 of them running and zero failures over the last two years... but I don't have to tell you that as you alreeady know how good they are. I stick with Ushio or Christie for digital with a few LTI XDN4000's thrown in. Thats also a good lamp... but too short lived at just 750 hours.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-01-2010 10:55 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once the XL's became available, we never sold anything else; the price did not go up, but the warranty was better. A better deal for the customer. Louis

Brian Jupp
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2010 12:55 PM      Profile for Brian Jupp   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Jupp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of your feedback. I'll try to address the comments/questions/suggestions.

Here's a picture of what's left of the bulb:
 -

Our dealer is helping with the warranty claim. They are in contact with Strong about a replacement collector and 45 degree mirror. Here are a couple pictures of the collector:

-

-

There are nicks and scratches in the surface and a few burned spots. I have heard that many theatres keep trucking with damaged reflectors like this.

The lamphouse blower is working properly.
This bulb was an Osram XL lamp.

I am concerned about Strong not having replacement dichroic 45 degree mirrors. Should this be the case, I was told to check out a glass shop for some high quality mirrors cut to size, as Strong only recommended IR filtering in 4kw and up. I do have exactly the same equipment in my other two houses but with 2kw bulbs. I could steal the 45degree mirrors from one of them.

Thanks again for your feedback.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: