Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Buzz in auditorium when striking lamp

Author Topic: Buzz in auditorium when striking lamp
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2010 10:12 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When striking the lamp, there is a "buzz" that is audible from all speakers in the auditorium. This booth was just installed. I assume this is a grounding issue?

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2010 10:45 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the ground, cheak all ground wires and how the ground was made. Remember, ground should be made in that way that you have one star point, and all grounding to equipment (projectors, sound...) are wired from that point, with big conductors. Secound, even if that is okay, ground instlation could be bad, than you need someone to measure it for you. Also, if you using three phase, make sure sound rack is on diferent phase than ignitor on projector, that could help sometimes. Also bad capactirors in ignitor can cause this as well.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-26-2010 10:50 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are your sound racks "piggybacked" onto your lamphouse?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-26-2010 10:57 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand lamphouse?

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2010 01:25 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sound rack sits about 3 feet away from the console. It is a Christie Xenolite 2000 watt console.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-26-2010 02:16 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to find out how the buzz is getting in.

What is the cinema processor?

Does the buzz go up and down with different fader settings?

Is the buzz getting in on one format and not the rest?

Digital, Non sync, etc.

Is the buzz in one channel or in all?

You get the idea.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-26-2010 03:47 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And does the buzz happen if the bulb is struck with the processor turned off (both with it cut off/running in bypass and with it entirely unplugged).

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2010 05:08 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda like that sound, I know the movie is about to start.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2010 05:25 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Bodge
I kinda like that sound, I know the movie is about to start.
Also some HF drivers like them, because it meant to kill em. I went to some cinemas, that sound was louder than any in movie what was playing that night in SRD.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2010 12:33 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The processor is a Dolby CP55. The buzz only happens when the lamp is striking (just for a split second) and seems to be coming from all channels in the auditorium (while in non-sync). I also noticed that the end cue triggers a very slight "click" that can be heard in the auditorium as well. I will check ground wiring first.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-27-2010 12:49 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would unplug the non sync audio output wiring from the CP and see if it goes away. The shielding and wiring on most CD players is pretty sad and an easy way for the ignitor to penetrate.

The idea is to figure out the limits of the problem and then bore in on it.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-27-2010 01:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie lamphouses/consoles excite grounding issues since they actually ground the negative side. Most all others float both sides.

Grounding is a tricky thing...it not only has to be there and be good but also one has to pay attention to the path noise has to take to avoid showing up in sound systems.

-Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: