Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 Audio Output problem

Author Topic: CP65 Audio Output problem
V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2010 02:11 PM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello ,
i had an Dolby CP65 removed from a theater. we purchased it . Today we made it to play. We noticed that LEFT channel of the processor is not working. I checked in all inputs the out put is not present. And the signal in CAT cards was found. And i changed CAT64B. But problem was same. Is there any solution for this . Can Any one Help me in this issue.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-05-2010 05:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the three bypass relays on the rear.

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2010 06:07 PM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Relays were checked . But same problem .

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-05-2010 06:31 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would check the output wiring to the left power amplifier is not short circuited.

Have you put the audio from the CP65 right output to the left power amplifier? I know this is very basic, but it is best to eliminate the simple possibilities first.

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2010 06:34 PM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given Correct outputs to the amplifier. Right Channel is working good but left one is not working

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-05-2010 06:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put the unit into "bypass" and see if you have any signal there (on the offending channel).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-05-2010 07:05 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean that you can see the signal LEDs on cat. 242 and you still do not have signal at the output?

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2010 07:13 PM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.. We can see the signal present in 242 But there is no output.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-05-2010 10:18 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can have a 242 green LED on the left channel and still no audio. The LEDs are before the switch on the 242 if I recall correctly.

As I said before, try feeding the right channel audio from the 65 which is known to be good into the left channel power amp. This will rule out a number of issues.

Steve's suggestion is good as well as it bypasses most of the 65 audio. But try my idea first.

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2010 12:38 AM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We checked in bypass its working good . But in normal the audio is not working.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-06-2010 09:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LEDs are after the switch (think about it).

So, what is left is the Cat 64B, the VCA and the line driver on the output.

Put a meter with a suitable test signal (from a generator or program) on the (Left) test point of the Cat 242. This will see the signal before the line amp but AFTER the EQ and VCA (have the fader at "7"). Is the signal there?...if so, you are down the the last stage. If not, you are back up to the VCA.

Odds are though regardless of where you find the signal has vanished, it is likely a coupling capacitor that has opened up.

C124 couples the EQ to the VCA (1uF). C134 (2.2uF) couples the VCA to the Line Amp (and test point) and then C139 with C140 (100uF) couple the line amp to the output of the Cat 242.

I believe the 1uF and the 2.2uF are tantalums...my experience is that they tend to work or explode (violent failures)...the output caps, the 100uF are going to be electrolytics. They have a less than stellar service record on the long run (as a Category, not necessarily on the Cat 242). If you have signal on the test point...go straight for them, C139 and C140. I'm less inclined to suspect the VCA (it has L,C, R and S channels and I have not had one go bad on me yet) or the output op amp, Left and Center share the same one and the 5532 series has never failed me.

Note, if wire link W5 is missing...Left will play MUCH lower which may make it seem like it isn't working.

Of course, there is always the freak resistor that, for no reason, opens up too.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-06-2010 09:57 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is correct. I meant to say the LEDs are after the switch but before the actual output stage.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-09-2010 04:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a chance to look at the Cat 242 today...I would suspect the C139/C140 even more...they are located right behind the test points and can easily be grabbed when removing the card, possibly breaking the lead(s). Give them a look.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: