Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Panavision 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Panavision 3D
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2010 01:04 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a call to check out a theater for possible Panavision 3D. I called Panavision to get specs and I wanted to get some info. With the panavision 3D, there is no need for a silver screen. The problem I have is with their light output spec sheet chart. They want at least 30FL preferably 35 with no less than 75% on the sides. I have no problem with that. My problem is their lamp chart. For example, they say for a 26 foot wide screen, a 1600Watt bulb will do. Can you really get 30-35 with 75% on the sides?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-28-2010 07:21 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but not all lamphouses can do it. Easy for a new SuperLumex reflector, new bulb, new white screen and excellent porthole glass. Obviously, this is not typical.

80 ft/lamberts is obtainable with a SILVER screen, less is reasonable with a white screen. Louis

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2010 07:33 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the problem. Most of these screens have old screens, old equipment, etc...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-28-2010 09:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that is the rub in many cases now days where theatre do not have a dealer with competent engineering departments to ensure equipment compatability with the desired specified end result
there are many variables and that takes someone with experience to create a workable package

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-28-2010 10:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe throw a Technilight reflector in that Super Lume-X and a short gap 2500w bulb (might have to alter/modify the exhaust some for this conversion...) and it makes you wonder if these lumens numbers then can be achieved.

-Monte

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2010 02:43 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the filter system for this? Even the Dolby 3-D system requires at least a high-gain white screen.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-31-2010 05:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby 3D does NOT require a high gain screen. Depending on the projector and screen size, a high gain screen is often used to get the center of the screen brighter but it will cause the illumination to vary across the screen. We have done Dolby 3D installations on matte-white screens...they look the best.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...

Dolby actually DOES reccomend a minimum 1.8 gain screen for their process as well as a maximum width of 45 feet. But the nice aspect is that one can use what ever one wants to...

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-01-2010 11:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They only recommend it because of the miserable 10% throughput. It makes it somewhat necessary on larger screens...however, just like with silver screens...the gain is only over a narrow portion of the screen...leaving the rest too dark.

Also, I noted that one is not REQUIRED to use a gain screen.

Steve

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2010 03:40 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So has anyone had one of these systems installed yet? I am in the process now of upgrading 2 screen's lamphouses. I am still waiting to hear from Panavision as to what light levels they need. In all their spec sheets, they still mention bulb size only and not foot lamberts. What level is needed for Technicolors 3D?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2010 06:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Also, I noted that one is not REQUIRED to use a gain screen.
I noted that too if you read all the way through.

Richard...

The other company's light level requirements are similar.

Mark

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2010 07:11 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the info. But what does Panavision's system use?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2010 06:03 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to press releases, this seems to be a similar/same system as Dolby. One review said their output on a matte white was 7.5 fL. Anyone else get these sort of readings?

Panavision claims that this system is compatible with film. My understanding was that the Dolby system was not. Is this true?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2010 06:21 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panavision requires 30-35ft lamberts in the middle with around 75% of that on the sides. With their lens in place, you need a minimum of 4.5ft lamberts.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-03-2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if such a theatre (or a Tech 3D theatre) wants to show a 2D feature? Do they show it at 30fL, or do they reduce the image brightness by some method (reduced lamp current, defocusing lamp, ND filter on lens or gel on port glass, etc.)?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: