Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How 2 Remove Xetron Platter Bearings?

Author Topic: How 2 Remove Xetron Platter Bearings?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2010 10:03 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Xetron (Strong) XNR 335 platter with
a bad lower bearing on one of the decks.

The upper bearing is clearly held in place by a
retaining clip. But I don't see one on the lower
bearing.

I tried tapping the lower bearing out from the
inside (using a small piece of wood to avoid damage)
but it wouldn't budge. I didn't want to use too
much force for fear of breaking something.

> So, does anyone know to get that lower bearing
out? Should I just start wacking it harder?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 12:31 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, is that bearing flush with the bottom of the platter deck hub? If so it won't come out as you are simply pounding it onto the ground.

You'll need to support that deck hub with a cut piece of pipe or a socket that will allow the bearing to drop into.

Spray some WD-40 down into the hub, soaking that bearing outer race good, let it set for a bit then one sharp whack should pop it out.

Another trick is to use a heat gun (NOT a torch) to heat up the outside of the hub evenly, as that will expand it enough to loosen the hub's grip on the bearing.

Finally, when you put the new bearing in, put it in the freezer for several hours first to shrink it so it will drop right in.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2010 04:04 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tony. I'm working on another project today but
I'll give your suggestions a try tomorrow morning.

I like the freezer idea! That sounds like a good plan!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 04:53 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Big Grin]

I got the freezer trick from an old-timer machinist.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2010 11:58 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Another trick is to use a heat gun (NOT a torch) to heat up the outside of the hub evenly, as that will expand it enough to loosen the hub's grip on the bearing.

Finally, when you put the new bearing in, put it in the freezer for several hours first to shrink it so it will drop right in.

I learn something new here all the time. Thanks [thumbsup]

I cant tell you how many parts I have lightly sanded with emery cloth to get them to fit. Arrrg

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-27-2010 01:32 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome Eric. Glad I could help. [Big Grin]

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2010 11:05 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the XNR 335 has a tapered roller bearing on the bottom. After the platter is removed and the seal is pulled, the bearing just falls out like an automotive wheel bearing. The bearing race is what's pressed in and needs to be driven out with a pin punch. Any automotive supply store should have the bearing and seal as they are a common item. They should also have the bearing driver to re-install the replacement bearing race.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-29-2010 08:37 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, you may be right, in which case my advice will still work to remove the lower bearing race. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-30-2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used a Sledge Hammer on the last ones... I mean that literally! I pulled every Neumade and Xetron platter out of a chain I service and replaced them all with rebuilt AW-3's. All the trouble went to the junk yard with the old platters!

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-30-2010 09:57 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see Louis' system of Preventive Destruction is alive and well!! [Big Grin] Louis

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2010 12:50 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? You mean you don't find it fun replacing IR sensors in feedplates all the time? [puke]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2010 09:44 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the advice. I haven't actually pulled the
bearing out yet since I had to shift some priorities
around this week and was able to make do by swapping
the deck out from another platter for now.

But I DO need to replace a bad lower bearing in the one
I pulled off. It's definitely shot! You can feel it when
you try to turn it with your finger, and it made a horrible
screeching noise just before it seized up.

. . It sounded like a cat getting a colonoscopy.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-31-2010 01:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly Louis!

We had monthly sheets with problems listed on them just from the southern end of the state... typically 120+ problems a month. I tackled the problems a couple of times over the summer but it was hopeless both for getting parts and there is still poor reliability factor in those platters. Once I pulled the Xetron and Neumade's out the problem list went to something like 20 to 30 issues a month. And since weeding out the platters I have weeded out much other problematic gear... ORC lamphouses, some automation, etc. and the list has further declined to the point where I can now almost just do normal service runs a few times a year. My previous employer was making a killing keeping all this crap running and now the operators of the chain realize that!! BTW: The cost to replace everythng so far has been less than 15K. The owners are happy, the employees are happy and most importantly customer complaints are now almost non existant.

quote: Sean McKinnon
What? You mean you don't find it fun replacing IR sensors in feedplates all the time?
Nope... and with Neumade being in a so-so position... selling off much of their stock on Ebay now the parts situation is touch and go so the platters had to go. They were literally sold for scrap value at the junk yard!

Mark

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2010 02:22 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it is too bad that they couldnt get the electronics right in the NXP because when they were properly calibrated they were very smooth and quiet, unfortunately by the end of the first show the calibration would be all over the place again.

I once ran a 10 plex (5 booths) with three 5 deck NXP platters feeding 2 screens each two 3 deck models and one 35/70 3 deck model (all DCP-1000 and DFP-D2000 also) it was a fun fun place!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2010 09:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean... It seems there was very little they could get right... Noel Makisoc had finally got a good design down for them on the Neutronic drive card after all these years... but then he had to depart. With Noel gone there is simply no chance so I am glad that Neumade is also gone!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: