Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone showing Jackass 3 in 2D? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Anyone showing Jackass 3 in 2D?
Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2010 10:08 AM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a nice minute or two bit in the beginning about how the movie you are about to see is in 3D, you must wear the glasses. Look at this cheesy 3D effect that won't be in 3D because we aren't digital. Just wondering what folks would do about this at other locations. Every customer is going to come out and ask what's going on.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2010 10:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd chop that shit off if I were showing it on 2D film (if it were present which it shouldn't be).

Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2010 11:39 AM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad someone agrees but do you think I would get fired for that if we get checked this weekend?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-15-2010 01:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd leave it alone since it's not your responsibility to alter what Paramount/DW have released for presentation - it's not your movie.

Any customer complaints should be addressed to the manager which is the proper protocol in this case.

-Monte

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2010 02:24 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul:

If I was handling the engagement, I would make certain that I announced to the audience, that regardless of what was displayed on screen during the opening, that the show was not in 3-D. It might also be suitable to discreetly douse the light to the projector during that brief segment of the opening. There is no doubt that this would have caused an issue with us at the drive-in. This is a nightmare waiting to happen!

Good luck with this one!

Don Brown

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2010 02:37 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're opening it tonight at our drive-in... sounds like it's gonna be a fun night.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2010 04:33 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the Boxoffice interview with the director and he said they had both 2D and 3D equipment on the set so apparently part of it was shot in 2D and converted. That interview also convinced me that I would never show the film in any theatre I owned.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-15-2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
I just read the Boxoffice interview with the director and he said they had both 2D and 3D equipment on the set so apparently part of it was shot in 2D and converted.
I saw an interview with Steve-O and he said the reason some of the stuff was 2D was because for some scenes someone would just run away randomly and it was practically impossible to set up a spontaneous 3D chase, so they just sent someone to chase them off with a normal camera.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2010 04:52 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Columbus Ohio area, I see 2 AMC theatres and 2 Marcus theatres running JACKASS 3 in 2D. Most have a 3D version running also.

Paul Looker
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2010 04:53 PM      Profile for Paul Looker   Email Paul Looker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, I am the manager. There is no passing the buck here. Would you want to take 100 complaints a day. I've already had 30 or so and it's wearing thin really fast. It's not my movie, but isn't this something they should have cut out themselves if the goal was anything less than making my theater look like shut for not being equipped for 3d?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-15-2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd cut it and put it on the shelf and reattach it on its way out. But that's just me.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-15-2010 05:16 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's appalling that Paramount would put you in that situation.
Get out the scissors...just make sure it goes back in before you send it out.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-15-2010 05:28 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put up a very clear sign in large print on neon color paper informing your guests that the film is in 2D only. Put one on every box terminal.

It is better to inform your guests before they buy tickets than to field complaints after they've already bought tickets.

Do not alter the performance or edit the print.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-15-2010 05:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave it in. Let the customers scream. (Sorry, Paul...)

Unless people bitch and complain, the ass-fucks that make these decisions are never going to learn.

Sometimes, things have to break before people solve the problems. If line level employees keep fixing them and cleaning up other people's messes, nothing will ever get done. Furthermore, the people who do the real work cleaning up the messes that other ass-fucks make will never get credit for it.

When I first started working at a certain theater, there were steps going up to the second level balcony that didn't have proper safety lighting. (i.e. Strip lights on the stair treads.) This safety hazard was one of the first things I pointed out when I first worked there.

My boss stalled and played the famous "Lose the Paperwork" game. Year after year, I kept pointing it out and he kept stalling.

One day, an old lady slipped and fell down the stairs. Thank God she only suffered a sprained ankle!

This happened on a Sunday afternoon. At 9:00 on Monday morning, my boss, his boss and the director of Physical Plant came to the theater and stood around scratching their chins, trying to come up with a solution. I walked over and asked what they were looking at and they told me what happened. I said that they should put strip lights on the stairs.

The order went in to Celestial Lighting by the end of the week.

For nearly five years, without regard to my bitching and complaining, nothing got done until something bad happened.

The same thing applies here. Don't fix other people's problems.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2010 05:45 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plain and simple truth is that not all customers read signs. I would definitely remove that section and reattach when the film goes back. I bet Paramount sends out a notice to remove it anyway if they get enough complaints from theatres. Oh, and most checkers have not seen the film prior so they wouldn't have a clue that its missing.

This reminds of The Pirates of the Caribbean teaser trailer that was attached to Finding Nemo. We received so many complaints from parents that it scared their kids we removed it even though Disney sent a letter stating not to. By Monday Disney issue a notice nation wide to remove it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: