Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Motor and shutter belt in Vic 5 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Motor and shutter belt in Vic 5
Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2010 09:41 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I am reading the spare parts manual for Cinemeccanica Victoria 5
I am looking for the part numbers for the motor and shutter belt.
Only part number that i can find is V5-170 for this belt and i just wanted to make shure is the motor and shut belt the same size?
Because i can only find this one part number V5-170.

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the two belts are identical. I am not at the office but I remember that the code number is 463XL or something like that but I can confirm tomorrow.
Demetris

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2010 05:08 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Internal Belt is 434XL050

External can be the same, though the manual says 438XL050.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-06-2010 05:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are not always the same depending on the motor and its RPM and the large upper pulley (also a spacer is found on some between the motor and the frame)

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2010 02:12 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the belt is the same but Gordon is correct regarding the Pulley size which varies according to the motor power rating so that the film moves at 24fps. The belt can actually be ordered with the following code numbers:

3201028 (this is the current order number)
5V170 (This is from the greenish and late silverish era)
434XL050 (this is the original code number)

On all models there is some kind of way to tension the belt with the main pulley. On the older models a sliding metal roller was used to tension the belt between the motor and the pulley. On newer models the motor mounting screws are on a sliding type or mounting so you slide the complete motor back and forth to get the correct tension of the belt.

Demetris

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-08-2010 09:06 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In north america on the grey ones there are a possible 3 belt combinations depending on the machine
I have all 3 types in one location

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2010 12:59 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to line up the dots!

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Vic 5 pulleys,

We've got one where the bearing and or clutch is going. The pulley is " wobbling ". I cannot get the threaded ring that holds the bearing and clutch in to unscrew.

Is there a special tool for this? It has two rectangle indents on the ring.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2010 10:39 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you post some pics of the problem?
Demetris

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-12-2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you mean these

-

you'll need some seeger ring pliers.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2010 03:45 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry but there is no clutch in the Vic 5.... as already posted a pic of the problem part(s) would be helpful.

Each sprocket shaft has two bearings which are contained in a tube which fits into the casing. The clips pictured in the above post hold the bearings in place.

If the shafts are wobbling then the bearings need replacing and possibly the shaft if its been running like that for a long time.
If the bearing is not running correctly the shaft will turn within and wear quite quickly as they are quite soft.

Too much belt tension is the most likely cause of premature bearing and or shaft wear.

Some pics please.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-12-2010 09:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the vic 5 did have a clutch option for a onboard rewind

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2010 09:27 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron,

It sounds to me like the problem you are encountering is with the shutter driver? (it has a threaded ring behind the drive pulley with 2 rectangular slots) yes it does require a special tool to remove it, but you should just replace the entire shutter driver.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2010 12:04 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies!

Here's the image.

-

The indented tabs I'm referring to are on the circular ring around the flat head screw that holds the pulley to the shaft.

If I took the pulley in front off, it's easier to see but I just had a few minutes to snap off a photo.

There's definitely a clutch in there, it's in the back of the pulley with a sealed bearing in the front.

Randy, is this a tool that is specific to this projector? or any tool supplier would have this?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-14-2010 07:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the upper sprocket if so it is for the onboard rewind system they offered

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: