Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 - No optical audio

Author Topic: CP65 - No optical audio
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-03-2010 05:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a CP65 that is showing plenty of signal activity on the 240A optical preamp card, but no activity on the CAT 150 2:4 decoder card or the fabulous CAT 222SR/A card. If I reboot the processor, I can get a bit of activity, but it is really low. My first thought was the LED. I replaced that, though it is not perfectly aligned since my loops and stuff are at home, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I did notice that the 150 card sometimes lights up in non-sync, that's what made me think "LED". I have no other CP65s to swap cards with.

Maybe bad 150 or something askew between 240 and 150 cards?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-03-2010 05:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No activity on the Cat 222 eh? Not in any format (mono included)?

Look on the back and make sure the Format 22/42 jumpers are all installed correctly (format 22 reading correctly). The Cat 443 could also not be telling things to route correctly.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-03-2010 06:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems found. It works now. Crazy.

EDIT:

Actually, it had to have been the LED. The symptoms were as I described them originally. Then I changed the LED after the projector had been threaded and cranked down the LED power supply a bit (which was maxed). As the movie was running, I saw no activity on aforementioned cards. But it was playing in DIGITAL. Due to my inability to add 2 and 2 it didn't even occur to me that those do not light in digital mode and I dared not press SR or any other button during the sold-out show.

So, nevermind. Problem no more. Now I'll just have to do the a-chain tomorrow.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you happen to have Kelmar scanners check the power supply. They have several types that fail with on again-off again symptoms. You may or may not see a slightly charred molex connector for the LED voltage output on the card or charred parts near the Molex.

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-04-2010 09:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are Component Engineering.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-04-2010 09:38 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't be the LED. You had "plenty of signal" on the input card. Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-04-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, when I was looking at it when it was playing in digital after I had already replaced the LED. That's when I typed the first post.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-05-2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having format 10 selected wouldn't cause activity on the preamp card (it only registers optical input).

Did you go through the usual troubleshooting sequence of

- does the power supply provide the correct voltages?
- does it work in bypass?
- are both the projector 1 and projector 2 inputs dead on both channels?
- did you try formats 01, 04, and 05, and did you get anything from any of them?
- is there any signal off of the preamp outputs on the back of the processor?

?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-05-2010 09:34 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

I believe you are not correct regarding the optical preamp not showing signal activity when in format 10. The optical preamp is always hot on projector 1 or 2. The analog audio just does not get through as the 242 output card is switched over to pass the external input from the DA20.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-05-2010 09:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops...that's what I meant to say, but I worded my comment poorly. What I was getting at was the idea that anything that a working DA20 and B-chain, but dead LED or solar cell or preamp, would lead to zero activity on the preamp card, regardless of the format selected. Thanks for the clarification.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2010 01:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, the problem is fixed. It was the LED. Thanks.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-06-2010 09:32 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes you so sure, Joe? Have you even tried any of these solutions? [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: