Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong 2k switchers that hang at 27 amps on start...

Author Topic: Strong 2k switchers that hang at 27 amps on start...
Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-01-2010 11:29 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I am seeing that at least two others here are having this happen, I wanted to start a new thread to avoid threadjacking THIS ONE.

The problem: with new generation compact switchers (Strong models 62-00014 and 62-00015), the power supply will, upon turn-on, strike the lamp but hang up at around 27 amps output. Turning the current control might vary it over a short range, but to get full power you have to turn the supply off then on again.

I would like to get anyone here who is experiencing the same issue to please post the SERIAL NUMBER of any affected unit you encounter.

I plan to approach Strong about this and see what, if anything, they know about this or intend to do to correct it.

I'll start with the ones I have:

SK 4280, SK 4285 and SK 4286 (all three purchased around late Sept. 2009)

Thanks!!

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2010 07:16 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go:

Model# 6200015
1-2.5k
SN: SX671

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2010 08:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If yas can see if the arc through the peeohole see if it is horseoeing between the electrodes. have seen this happen a number of times and the lamp was at a low current similar to yours. In all my cases(Super Lumex) a new stabilization magnet cured it. Eventually the arc might stabilize and it might not. If not it puts the lamp envelope in a dangerous way... If you ask Strong about it they will deny knowing anything about it.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-05-2010 01:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, what does that mean when you see the arc horseshoe over both electrodes?

I've had to shut it down and do a restart to get the arc stabilized.

Seen that numerous times in X-90 consoles on both sizes of suitcase switchers.

-Monte

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2010 12:33 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen the exact same thing that Mark just mentioned, but only once and that was at least a few years ago, so I can't come up with a serial number. If I remember correctly it was also a super lume-x. I replaced the power supply and that solved the problem. This was at a theatre that I had to drive 4 hours to get to.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
peeohole
What is that? Are you thinking of a "glory hole"? Get your mind out of the gutter! [Big Grin]

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2010 03:51 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's how you put out the fire!

Cameron Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2010 09:12 AM      Profile for Cameron Andrews   Email Cameron Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2K Switcher SX1016 joining the 27 amp hang crowd. It only happens once every couple of weeks, but the only cure is shutdown and restart.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2010 08:29 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong has not denied it. Talk to Dale McMillan

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-07-2010 09:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did back when Randy and I were having that problem. By now they've probably seen it happen via their own service people.

Mark

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2010 10:15 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was about a year ago when I spoke to Dale about it. If I remember right, there was no fix at the time for it. It was in an X-90 console. I had to find another suitcase rectifier to replace it.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-11-2010 01:58 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, did you replace your bad one with an older suitcase or another new one that actually worked?

I am not surprised that Ballenswine would deny there is a problem, and I am even less surprised that they claim that there is no fix for it.

My planned solution if I don't get an answer from Wrong is to let one run at the hang current until it burns up so maybe the morons can see what the problem is.

Mark, in my case at least with the Super Lumex lamphouses, the arc is normal looking but unstable, no "horseshoeing" and the lamphouses were working fine with the same bulbs (Osrams) on the old black switchers. The only reason I bought the new ones is I wanted the ability to do a quick swap if one went down (I have the MS connector models).

Had I known that this was gonna happen I would have saved the money and kept the old black ones in service. [Mad]

Anyone else having this problem chime in please!

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2010 06:19 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I replaced it with an older suitcase.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-17-2010 02:26 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Richard.

Meantime, keep the reports coming in folks...with all the members here I am pretty sure there are a lot more of you all who have had this problem!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-29-2011 09:11 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this up..anyone else having this problem? Please list model and serial numbers. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: