Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Highlight II - converting from 3000 to 2000 watt bulb.

Author Topic: Highlight II - converting from 3000 to 2000 watt bulb.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 05:41 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am installing some Highlight II consoles. Originally the console / lamphouse units had 4000 or 3000 watt bulbs installed. We will be using 2000 watt bulbs in some of these, so I RTFM and noted that the 2000 watt bulb requires a new cathode support collet. But, I have two questions:
1) Should I use a 2000 short arc or regular 2000 bulb
2) Does the current "ANODE" support collet have to be changed?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-26-2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always use a longer bulb if you can. Heat is further from the seals.

#2 What does the manual say? Louis

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 06:43 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual says that the anode mount only needs to be changed for bulbs less than 2000. But, it never hurts to double check. I hate having a gotcha at the last minute.

I don't know much about bulbs, so why are the short arcs available if the long bulbs are better. Do they theoretically have a smaller brighter ball of light?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-26-2010 07:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certain reflectors are more efficient with the shorter lamps as well the shorter lamps started out being marketed for the small ORC lamphouses and originaly they were the source of them just like the HTP was a christie thing

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-27-2010 02:00 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can change out that reflector with one of those 7.6 inch Technalight reflectors and a XBO2000W-S (or similar) horizontal short gap bulb and you can get at least 3 times the light output with this combination and with less heat generated.

There has been past comment on a drive-in that has converted to these reflectors and the picture on the screen is vastly superior than the one in an indoor house.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2010 08:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Strong consoles you may find that the "HS" short Osram lamps work the best... Something to do with the size/depth of the mirror and shape of the Osram lamp I think... Hopefully you are not only going down in lamp size but also in screens size. Or staying within a screen size that will net you the light you need!!

I am installing a Technilight kit in a Super Highlite console next week. It's the only way to go in the older ocnsoles as Strong wants as much for an new reflector as the technilight kit costs me! I;ve seen anough of them work now to vouch that they are quite amazing... The Technilight web site is really lame though [Frown] .

Monte.. that Drove In is here in SLC. They have better images on their screens than some indoor theaters in this area have.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2010 01:22 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, can you post pics of your conversion after your done? Also, do the Super Highlights you're installing these in use the x60 or x90 style light bench?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-06-2010 10:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I won't be able to do that Jeremy. Propreiatary stuff. Sorry.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-07-2010 07:14 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is nothing special the reflector has come from several sources during the history of the kit and the alginment is nothing different either

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-07-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On page three of "Comments and Info on Robert Film Service Lamphouse / Reflector Upgrades (Page 3)"
there are pictures of one with a 3k lamp in a ORC lamphouse

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2010 11:20 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry just not finding it. That website is really poorly designed.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-08-2010 09:07 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that is on film-tech film handlers forum on page 3 of that topic

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: