Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Has anyone installed the Datasat AP20?

Author Topic: Has anyone installed the Datasat AP20?
Richard Orsak
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2010 01:57 PM      Profile for Richard Orsak   Email Richard Orsak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious if any of you "techs" have installed the AP20. Was considering going to this unit because of all the input options, and eq settings and the ability to store those settings. If so, has there beeen a marked improvement in sound?

I am currently running a Panastereo CSP1200, a DA20, and an XD10. That is my setup, and I was interested in any opinions on the AP20 possibility. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Brian Shull
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2010 12:12 PM      Profile for Brian Shull   Email Brian Shull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have installed an AP-20. It is a very good unit, easy to use.

With all the attention in the industry focusing on digital cinema projection we must not forget the sound processing. The AP-20 is going to help improve the sound and introduce us to the next generation of sound. The AP-20 uses Dirac live to optimize the sound to the room allowing the installer to set up different sound curves and store them for easy recall when needed. Dirac will also improve the impulse response of the sound system creating a tighter and clearer sound.

The auditorium I installed is both digital cinema projection and 35mm. The theater staff was impressed with the improvement in the sound, not only with the sound but the looks and ease of use of the AP-20. I am encouraging all my clients to install the AP-20 when they switch to digital projection, when they need an upgrade or want an improvement of the sound in the auditorium.

The numbers of inputs are startling and I do not think there is any other processor out there that can compete with the flexibility of the AP-20.

My 2 cents,

Brian

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-28-2010 04:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see no reason for different sound curves in a properly designed room the ISO standard curve applies to d cinema as well

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-28-2010 04:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, sometimes the ability to change the curves can help when dealing with substandard media, like during film festivals. Note that Brad installed outboard graphic eq's in his screening room for that very reason.

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2010 04:42 PM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

Check with Alvin at the Ganado theater. He had one installed a few weeks ago.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-28-2010 07:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
substandard media?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-28-2010 09:24 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod was the last to post
substandard media?
Yep..as in poorly mixed/eq'd tapes or dvds that frequently show up at film festivals and special screenings.

Some independent 35mm film productions could benefit from an EQ tweak as well.

If I had the rack space to spare both of my rooms at UC Irvine would have had EQ's installed for those very reasons.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-28-2010 10:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i strongly beleive it is not the theatres place to"tweek" a soundtrack make it right or live with the consequences

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-29-2010 12:14 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
i strongly beleive it is not the theatres place to"tweek" a soundtrack make it right or live with the consequences
While in principle I agree with that statement the real world of special screenings has proven otherwise. As a professional projectionist MY job and obligation is to make every show the best it can possibly be, (as in one case dropping the light on my 35mm lamphouses at the director's request to try to help out an overexposed print), even if it goes against the "standards" of sound or lumens. (Of course any change gets reset after the event.)

But that's not to say it doesn't make me grind my teeth the whole time. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: