Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinema Tech related things to visit in London

Author Topic: Cinema Tech related things to visit in London
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2010 05:17 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going to London, will be there from 5 to 10.11, so as I don't know anything about it, would like that somebody gives me advice what would be nice too see in London and it has to do with cinema and related things, I hear Empire cinema (big room) and BFI IMAX are MUST to see. Also, if somebody from forum is projectionist or so there, I could say hello and take some photos, o yea, and buy you some beer! [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 07:20 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's the BFI South Bank, most people still call it the National Film Theatre, about two minutes walk from the BFI IMAX. There is a bookshop there which also sells DVDs. If you're going to the Empire, also on Leicester Square is the Odeon. If you have time to get to North or South London there are a couple of restored 1910 ish early cinemas, the Ritzy in Brixton and the Phoenix in East Finchley.

Where will you be staying? If you want to go to any of these places then I can tell you how to get there.

You are unlikely to get a projection room visit at the BFI venues, they're simply too busy, but there is a reasonable chance at the Ritzy, and a good chance at the Phoenix. I don't know about Leicester Square, I've never asked on a normal day, but I have been up in the box at both places when attending special events.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2010 07:29 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to watch I film you should go to the main house in either The Odeon or The Empire in Leicester Square. Both are big (1300 seats in Empire 1 , The Odeon has 1683) houses and are quite good for a big event movie.

Elizabeth Betty Gross
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2010 09:34 PM      Profile for Elizabeth Betty Gross   Email Elizabeth Betty Gross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try the Prince Charles, right off Leicester Square - an art/revival theater showing oldies. Cheap admission, quality presentation. Too bad the Museum of the Moving Image is no longer there. When I visited London, I introduced myself to the (union) projectionists and was treated like royalty! After they showed me around th booths and offered to let me thread up (sure), they introduced me to the museum curator and invited me to tour the museum. Being a NY Projectionist never felt so good!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: