Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need help remote troubleshooting CP-50 problem

Author Topic: Need help remote troubleshooting CP-50 problem
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2010 01:13 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our locations is reporting the following in an auditorium with a CP-50. They say that the left and right channels both appear to cut in and out running in optical. Running in bypass they say sounds fine (or as good as bypass sounds). They say when it happens the left channel will have very soft sound with the booth monitor switched to processor but neither left or right have anything if the booth monitor is switched to amps.

Any ideas on what I can tell them to look at?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I am gonna try to help someone again, let's hope it works out better than the last three times..

Lyle, some questions:

What brand booth monitor? The Com. Eng. MS 100 has been known to cause similar problems on occasion.

What type/brand of optical reader?

Did this problem crop up suddenly?

Do the meters on the meter card in the processor quit showing signal when the problem happens?

Something to try: with the processor and amps turned off, pull each card out and re-seat it. See if the problem goes away.

It is remotely possible that the left/right amplifier is going bad, but let's rule out the front end first.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2010 03:16 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The monitor is "Component engineering 3417" according to the email they sent.

To check the meters I'll have to tell them to run out of bypass and watch the meters while the problem happens.

Also the auditorium is biamped so L and R channels are on separate amps completely.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 04:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What version of the cat 150 do they have

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 04:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Lyle.

The monitor is most likely a MS-55 or MS-100, the number they sent you is a serial number.

I'll rule out the amps for now since it is very unlikely for BOTH of them to go bad at the same time.

Gordon, good point on the CAT 150...wasn't there someone here with a similar problem that turned out to be the CAT 150?

Lyle, if they have another CP-50 (or a CP-65 or CP-200) on site they can try exchanging CAT 150 cards to see if the problem moves with the card..if so then the CAT 150 is bad. If not then the problem is elsewhere in the CP-50.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the meters on the meter card will respond even in bypass..

Times like this make me wish I had my old CP-50 handy to test my theories. [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-19-2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, you ignorant slut:

The Component Engineering 3417 is the "THX" monitor

The Cat 150 is a good place to start. The power rails are another good place to measure...make sure they are all there...don't be too worried if the +/- 15V rails are closer to +/- 10.5 V...if they are less then you have power supply problems too.

At this age, the Non-Sync/Optical switch (presuming a Cat 112) can be causing issue with its mechanical contacts though it is odd that both left/right have the same problem at the same time.

Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 05:17 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve-o:

Although it has been decades since I was an ignorant slut, let the record show that I am still a slut. [Big Grin] (Anyone know what movie/tv show I lifted that from?)

BTW, isn't slut German for total stud? [Smile] [sex]

Thank you for the interesting correction..you are right of course. I hadn't encountered but a few THX monitors in my service days which is why that number flew by my radar.

But this also brings up another possible area..maybe the problem is in the monitor's crossover cards or power supply.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2010 05:27 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CAT150E

I'll have them look at the meters and see what is happening while in bypass.

There is a CP200 in the building also so I'll have them swap the CAT150 and see if the problem follows the card.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-19-2010 09:35 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I REAL common problem of the Cat 150E is the power regulators not making good contact with their sockets...make sure they are pushed in good.

Since it is an E...do the LEDs on the card track with what you are hearing?

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-19-2010 10:40 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony you I.S.!

Saturday Night Live of course. Jane Curtin, and Dan Ackroyd playing Shana Alexander and James Kilpatrick are the people being spoofed.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-20-2010 01:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got it Sam!! I loved that show and that routine in particular.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: