Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » best model dts 6d or xd10

Author Topic: best model dts 6d or xd10
Rajendran Dinesh
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 03:09 AM      Profile for Rajendran Dinesh   Author's Homepage   Email Rajendran Dinesh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dear friend, which model best dts 6d or xd10,
our country lot of person use dts 6d preowned in theaters, any problem is there xd10 player,price compare to little high for xd10,

|  IP: Logged

Cameron Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 09:06 AM      Profile for Cameron Andrews   Email Cameron Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the XD-10 for a few simple reasons. The drives don't wear out as fast since they are only used once per film rather than once per showing. Since it isn't playing directly from the disc, you don't have to worry about operators forgetting to switch discs or scratching the discs. I also like being able to make adjustments and run tests from a digital menu rather then selecting from a test disc.

The down side is that if you have a scratched disc, the XD-10 will not load any of it. So if you have a disc that gets scratched on the outside edge (so maybe you loose dts sound during the credits) the 6D will play until it hits the scratches, the XD-10 will throw the whole movie out so you have to wait for new discs. However, this also means that if you have a disc that is scratched in many different areas, the XD-10 will not let it play were the 6D will just drop in and out the whole movie, which would become very annoying. So even the down side has its up sides....

I appreciate good sound, but I'm not a professional sound tech. To my un-trained ears, the xd-10 and 6D are equals, but others on this forum may disagree.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-11-2010 12:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Andrews
To my un-trained ears, the xd-10 and 6D are equals
In which they are the same for they decode the same info off the disc for 6trk playback. There is no actual analog sound info on the disc itself - just compressed data information. The argument of quality comes from the compression rate of the data, in which the DTS is only 4 times compression compared to SR-D at 12x compression. The SDDS is down to 8x compression.

Just one is a player (6-D) that is dependent of a processor to play back the analog sound (in which this is where the tuning needs to sound good from), and the other is a stand alone with a built-in processor with the basic same circuitry of a processor to adjust for proper analog sound output.

(the DTS 6 and DTS6-AD, which weren't mentioned also are basically the same above - one is only a player dependent of a processor and the other is a stand-alone with built-in processor)

Good luck-Monte

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 12:24 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have made a changeover at a cinema of a DTS6D to a DTSXD20. Both units where configured with the same output (300mv) connected on a CP65. I believe that the XD20 (not sure of the XD10) had a considerably better clarity and audio quality.
Demetris

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 02:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Just one is a player (6-D) that is dependent of a processor to play back the analog sound (in which this is where the tuning needs to sound good from), and the other is a stand alone with a built-in processor with the basic same circuitry of a processor to adjust for proper analog sound output.
It seems many people confuse the XD10 with the XD10P, which is understandable since the model numbers are so similar. The XD10 is most definitely not a processor. It is only an external DTS player, and you need a traditional processor such as a CP65 (or XD10P!) for audio. The difference between the XD10 and the 6D, as mentioned above, is that the DTS discs are loaded onto a hard drive inside the player and played back from this hard drive, rather than played from the CD-ROM's each show.

(The XD10 also offers open captioning and video capabilities, but that doesn't seem to be within the scope of this discussion. I'm just comparing the DTS playback features to the 6D.)

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-11-2010 04:25 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The digital data and the decoding are the same, but is there any difference in the D/A conversion? That could be the point. Can an XD10 be connected to Cp650's digital inputs?
DTS6D is a 199...6? piece of technology. Maybe something has improved in the meantime [Smile]

Rajendran Dinesh
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2010 04:03 AM      Profile for Rajendran Dinesh   Author's Homepage   Email Rajendran Dinesh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dear friendd, thanks to ur answers, this is my long time question, i got answer,

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2010 09:02 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The XD10 does have an AES digital output that can be connected to the XD10P's AES digital input. (The XD10P actually has two format buttons for external DTS: analog and digital.) I don't want to assume that the pinout of this connector is the same as the CP650's AES input, but if it is, it should probably work.

Anyone?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-12-2010 02:39 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are AES, it should work. Maybe it would need a custom connector.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: