Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » WTF is this thing in my damn lamphouse?

Author Topic: WTF is this thing in my damn lamphouse?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-06-2010 06:57 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In preparing to install new automations into my two Christie SLC-30 lamphouses, I came across the device pictured below. It is mounted on a type of heat sync to the frame on the non-operator side of the lamphouse above the red automation terminal board. It has two twims labeled "UP PED" and "UP RAMP". It also has a nifty power LED. It is labeled as 120v 60Hz so I doubt it has anything to do with the xenon. Automations are currently the Christie/Kelmar AM-8.

-

The power LED does not light and there is no power going to or coming from this unit according to my meter (I have not tried testing it with my tongue, though). I cannot successfully trace the wires coming from this thing because they get bunched up with others and disappear. Nearest I can tell, two of the wires **MAY** go to the automation board and the other two get lost, but I think they twist around up the back corner of the lamphouse. Could this be something for the auto-focus if it were installed (these SLC's are manual)? It looks like it has enough power to handle a couple of light bulbs.

I just want to know what it is.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-06-2010 08:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you ask JG? He tested it.

In any case, the part number probably ends in -001.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-07-2010 12:13 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a dimmer pak for aisle/house lights with those "Ped" and "Ramp" trimpots to control. The black leads looks like they are are hot "Source" and "Target" AC runs with the white being your neutral.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-07-2010 03:46 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had similar thoughts, but then I began thinking "Why the hell would there be a mini-dimmer inside the lamphouse?" It doesn't look like it could power an auditorium full of lights, either. It also has chips for whatever reason.

Matthew Ortado
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2010 06:45 AM      Profile for Matthew Ortado   Email Matthew Ortado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
It looks like a slow start kit for the projector motor.
Matt

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-07-2010 09:14 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be my guess as well. Only 4 wires. 2 in and 2 out. Just about couldn't be anything else. . . .not enough wires. (Really good photo.) Louis

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-07-2010 11:47 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... maybe something to lower the bulb during breaks?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-07-2010 12:14 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is some writing below the wires that the flash washed out..Joe, what does all that writing say? It would be a good clue.

I'm guessing soft start for the motor too at this point.

As for the wires, they shouldn't be that hard to trace out Joe since Christie loves to use all white wire with numbers. Just follow the two black wires.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-07-2010 02:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The washed out part is the 120v/60Hz information as well as what appears to be a serial number. A motor slow start sounds like a logical conclusion, though since we have Simplexes they start slow by default. Sometimes they start so slow that we have to spin the flywheel to get the motor going. [Embarrassed]

Tony, the wires are not easy to trace. There are a crapton of black ones. However I do not believe these are hooked up to anything. Though I could easily adjust the trims, switch on the motor and find out (it will have to wait a few days, though).

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2010 05:27 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could double check the motor theory by running the motor on manual then checking with a meter.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-07-2010 07:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's my plan. It'll have to wait until Thursday or Friday since I am off (and Thursdays tend to be busy, as some of you may know).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-08-2010 01:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
and Thursdays tend to be busy, as some of you may know).

...and you should have an easy Thurs with "Resident Evil 4" being the only one released for this wknd ...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-08-2010 03:41 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. I've got 3 in (maybe more if there are any Indian shows), 4 out. It'll be a fairly busy Thursday night.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-10-2010 10:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew Ortado
Joe,
It looks like a slow start kit for the projector motor.
Matt

That's exactly what it is. With the PED adjusted all the way in one direction, it waits about 5 seconds before it even tries to turn over. The RAMP pot doesn't seem to make much of a difference either way.

Funny thing that is probably a coincidence: When I adjusted the pots to make my projector start faster (it has always been a bit slow), the amp would not even try to strike when I started the show, not even manually. I adjusted the PED and RAMP pots back to their original positions and then the lamp struck just fine. After the show let out I let the bulb cool for a while and put the pots back where I had them before, but the lamp struck fine. And no, I didn't have a door open!

Matthew Ortado
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 06:54 AM      Profile for Matthew Ortado   Email Matthew Ortado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
I took four consoles out of service with these kits installed in them. I think that they were mounted in the lamphouse because of the space needed.
Matt

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: