Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 3D Drive- In

Author Topic: 3D Drive- In
Frank Jerkic
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2010 06:31 PM      Profile for Frank Jerkic   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Jerkic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a patron ask me a couple of weeks back when I was putting 3D into the Drive-in as they were sick of driving 50 miles up to Townsville to see Avatar, Step Up 3D (why?) etc. in 3D, I just told him that it would never happen because of the throw plus the expense.
He wanted to know if any Drive-Ins had gone digital by erecting a smaller screen closer, My answer ‘No I don’t know of any as a small screen defeats the purpose of going to see a movie on the BIG screen’, then wanted to know what was the smallest and largest Drive-In screen built to which I have no idea.
As a matter of interest anybody know?
Tanks n Regards
Frank

|  IP: Logged

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2010 06:54 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The smallest I've heard about is 3'x 6', but there were 150 screens (approximately) and each car got their own.

The largest screen I've heard of is 160', can't remember where though.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2010 07:57 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big is your screen Frank?

Frank Jerkic
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2010 11:07 PM      Profile for Frank Jerkic   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Jerkic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is 36ft x 84ft with the sheet made from fibro, wouldn't mind putting up a 2nd smaller screen but where to put it and what size is the problem, besides I can't get mine fixed at the moment after that mini cyclone 2 weeks ago as everybody is just too busy doing work with the Rudd stimulus money and in the next breath you hear the plumbers / roofers saying it's so quite so I gotta get up and fix it myself

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-05-2010 12:50 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Drive-In in my State of Idaho on the Eastern side has a screen similar to that size and do have a BARCO out there for their digital presentations.

Frank Jerkic
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2010 07:16 AM      Profile for Frank Jerkic   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Jerkic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andrew McCrea
The smallest I've heard about is 3'x 6', but there were 150 screens (approximately) and each car got their own.
? how would that work sounds like TV [Confused]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-05-2010 05:01 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mirrors. Not surprisingly, it didn't last.

-

Frank Jerkic
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2010 08:25 PM      Profile for Frank Jerkic   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Jerkic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmmmmmmm so if I can get more stimulus money from our Govt. (if we ever get one)I can buy a bucket load of flat screen 3D TV's and do the same thing and have the first 3D Drive-In [Eek!]

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2010 08:54 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As posted above, the Spud Drive-In in Driggs, Idaho is the first "real" drive-in to go digital. Even the other "parking lot with screens" do not run theatrical digital equipment.

I have heard that the Spud plans to install 3D.

The largest, currently operating, drive-in screen is at the Bengies Drive-In just outside of Baltimore, Maryland at 120' wide x 52' high. I know of plenty that are 20' x 40'. I'm just not sure that they are the smallest.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 09-06-2010 10:22 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few issues that need attention to run a 3D drive in theatre properly.

First and foremost- Light output aka screen brightness. Many drive ins are lucky to hit 5-6 fl with lamps above 4K and drive in shutters.

Second - Polarisation issues through the windscreen of the automobile. Just for fun, go for a drive, don your polarised sunnies and marvel at the newton rings and other artifacts that arise at the plane of the glass.

Third- 3D works in hardtops because of the relatively short throws and patron/screen viewing distance. The field of view in hardtops is MUCH wider than most Drive ins unless the ramps are restricted to the few front rows.

I really hope it works for the Spud..but I can't help feeling it will be a very expensive gimmick that wont really add up in boxoffice takings v cost.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-06-2010 10:30 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian DeCiancio
As posted above, the Spud Drive-In in Driggs, Idaho is the first "real" drive-in to go digital
...in the USA. There have been Digital projectors in a couple of drive-ins down here for a while.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: