Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Stupid Question- Is Non-Sync in stereo or mono?

Author Topic: Stupid Question- Is Non-Sync in stereo or mono?
James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2010 09:49 PM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have hooked up a DVD player to play through the non-sync channel of a CP 65. I can't tell if it's coming out in stereo or mono?

Anyone know of a way of hooking a DVD player to play through the Dolby and use the full 6 tracks?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2010 10:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can have Non/Sync playback in stereo if the inputs on the back of the processor is wired correctly for L/R inputs.

It's an normal practice to have Non/Sync to come out of the left right stage speakers, but one in a while, you'll find them connected to center and surrounds.

It could be that the Non/Sync settings in the CP65 isn't balanced correctly with one channel turned down-why you're probably hearing mono output.

If wired correctly, undo the one channel connection heading to the CP65 and see which speaker is driving.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-01-2010 10:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same question, but about the CP650.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2010 10:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Mike's situation, that is all done in the menu of the processor on how one wants the sound to come out of what set of speakers as long as the L/R inputs are connected ...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-02-2010 12:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in stereo if wired that way. If you just have one line going to the processor and then just jump the left to the right (or vice versa), it'll be in mono. Or if the signal is in mono, it'll obviously be in mono. Same with the CP650, it is stereo. You might even be able to make it go Pro Logic by messing around with the settings. I know on the CP65 you can.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-02-2010 02:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Waite
Anyone know of a way of hooking a DVD player to play through the Dolby and use the full 6 tracks?
There has already been a topic on this question started. Take a peek at it for more info

- Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-02-2010 07:13 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must select nonsync 4:2:4 jumper setting on the formating board

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-02-2010 09:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP65 has two non-sync formats.

One of these formats plays through left/right (and, optionally, surround; this is set with a jumper and the surround level is set with a gain pot). This is intended for walk-in music.

The one that you want for video does full L/C/R/S decoding. To make the non-sync button on the front panel select this format, you need to set the NS jumper to 2:4 (as Gordon indicates). Also, if the wake-up format is non-sync, then you need to change that jumper to NS 2:4 as well (otherwise, you would have to hit the non-sync button once after cycling the power to put the processor in the correct format). The NS surround on/off jumper does nothing for the NS 2:4 format.

What I ended up doing for my screening room setup is connecting two momentary-contact pushbuttons to the automation connector on the back of the processor, which has terminals for each format. That way, the operator can select either the "music" non-sync format or the "video" non-sync format without having to remove cards and change jumper settings.

For Mike: assign format 75 to one of the buttons on the front of the CP650. This will accomplish the same thing. Better yet, if you have the EX card, use the digital input and format 80. The only potential issue with using the digital format is that some disks are authored to be left/right only; when using the digital input, the center channel will not be derived, and dialogue can sound weird when coming from two places instead of one. For those disks, you would probably be better off with the analog input.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-02-2010 01:27 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good post Scott.. on the CP-650 I want to add that you have several format options for the non-sync inputs which can have the subwoofer on or off, can do "traditional" l/r only, etc. Take a look at the manual or simply scroll through the choices.

Even better yet is you can use the U1 and U2 buttons to set either non-sync input to different formats for the non-sync. Great for film fests with different track setups on the dvds.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2010 01:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, there IS a way to have the CP650 do a "pro logic" on the digital input (AC3, PCM, etc). I usually do it on my installs, but without being in front of it I don't recall what the setting was.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-02-2010 02:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad--please post that! Dolby said that it couldn't be done, at least as of a year and a half ago (or so).

As an addendum to the above post: the non-sync input gain pots need to be set correctly in order for the dialogue to be properly decoded and reproduced in the center channel only. If you have a tape or disk with bars and tone on it, the easiest way to do this on the CP65 (or CP500) is to put the processor into NS 2:4 mode, play the 1kHz tone (typically recorded at -20dBFS on a digital format or 0vu on an analog format), and adjust the non-sync gain pots to center the meters on the cat. 222 (just like setting Dolby tone for film). The cat. 222 isn't actually in the signal path, but the meters are still active in non-sync mode. If the tape/disk is mixed and recorded properly, it should play at the same fader setting as a typical film print, and dialogue should be centered properly.

(Note that there is a somewhat rare version of the CP65 that is intended for mono operation only; with those units, the meters on the cat. 222 are not active in non-sync mode.)

I don't know if the CP650 has a similar way to set non-sync input levels, but I'm sure that someone else will post it if it does. This is not an issue when using the digital input.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 09-04-2010 09:37 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm straining to recall this...I believe the CP650 can do ProLogic decoding on some kinds of inputs, but not others. This was the case Scott and I ran into...grr, difficulty remembering which was which...

--jhawk

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-05-2010 01:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For analog sources...format 75 on the CP650 (NS1) will do the pro-logic for you.

For digital sources...use format 80 ("Master Digital") Then on the front panel, scroll down using the "menu" and knob until you get to the option for "Discrete" or "Pro-Logic"...select "Pro-Logic" and all PCM 2-channel sources will get the Pro-Logic decode.

Where you are hosed on for the CP650 is 2/0 AC3 sources (DVDs)...they will be Left/Right and that is it...and there is nothing you can do about it in the CP650 as of yet. The DMA8 (Plus) and CP750 will do a pro logic decode of 2/0...but not the CP650.

Steve

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 03:54 PM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many DVD players will have an option to only output PCM. So a AC3 2.0 channel dvd will output to 2 channel PCM and you will have pro logic from your 2 channel ac3 dvd.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: