Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex 35 pad roller

Author Topic: Simplex 35 pad roller
Thomas Moore
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2010 12:58 AM      Profile for Thomas Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite simply put...i need to replace a pad roller roller assembly....the one directly below the film gate because the top roller shaft snapped off. i have one to replace it with however im not to familiar with the spring removal from the old, or the replacement so it doesnt shoot across the booth and i lose it. thank for any help replacing this. need it back up and repaired by noon tomorrow (today)...wednesday august 25th

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-25-2010 02:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a common weak spot with those XL units with the pad roller front shaft snapping.

You can remove the busted end of the pin with using the 9/64th" allen set screw underneath.

I usually loosen the center allen set (which is the 5/32" allen wrench) to pull the assembly forward a bit so I can push out the busted end of that broken shaft without taking off the entire assembly from the upper sprocket frame.

the front shaft is an eccentric shaft where the rear shaft is a straight shaft. Yet, you can use a straight shaft on the front (or even move the rear one up to the front for the time being) until you get the eccentric shaft in your posession.

Good luck - Monte

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-25-2010 09:30 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spring unit should (will!) have a little hole in the flat bar part. You compress the spring unit by moving the pad roller assembly until you see the hole beyond the washer. Then stick a paper clip or small allen key (better, doesn't bend) in the hole. Now move the assembly and the spring will be held tight and you can remove the assembly easily and reinstall it, then move to where the clip/key is free and pull it out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: