Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS 3000 LED Question

Author Topic: SDDS 3000 LED Question
Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2010 08:31 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While SDDS seems to be a hot topic as of late, is there any LED intensity adjustment on the 3000? I have a problem with the P side data dropping out consistently with many different prints. The S side is solid consistently. I got my 3000 brand new out of the box and am using it in my screening room so there is very low hours usage on it, probably a total of 20-30 hours. Could this be a weak or misadjusted LED, or would this be something else? I've checked all the manuals I could find and none of them seem to say anything about setting the intensity, even after replacing the LED. There doesn't appear to be any greater wear on the P side than the S side on the offending prints. I only have two prints that won't drop out but that's not because the P side isn't dropping but because the S side is stable enough to keep it going. I can't seem to come up with any test film for this thing, so I'm hoping that I can crank up the LED and get rid of my problem.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2010 08:40 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure that the optics are clean, and stick a scope on it.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2010 08:53 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Optics are very clean. I'm a little confused, don't you need the test loop to go along with the scope?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-23-2010 10:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't an LED intensity adjustment, per-say but there is an auto calibrate "adjustment" that is done at the reader itself via a serial connection and, of all things, Hyperterminal.

You remove all of the film...and via hyperterminal enter an "a" command and it will self calibrate (what they call "shading") and if there is an error, it will tell you.

Odds are though, you probably have a mechanical issue with the LED, film position or the CCD position.

I suggest, if you are qualified and have the proper test equipment, go through the procedure for checking the LED alignment as outlined in the Service manual.

A copy of it can still be found on cinematech.org http://www.cinematech.org/manuals/dfpr3000_maint_manual.pdf

Steve

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2010 08:58 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, Steve. Made a small adjustment to the CCD and now no more dropouts. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: