Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton EMK 1 Help

Author Topic: Kinoton EMK 1 Help
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-21-2010 04:38 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Kinoton FP50D with a built in cue detector on the front of the machine near the rear of the soundhead. I ordered typical foil cue tape identical to the kind I've used in the past with Kelmar detectors. They are invisible to the Kinoton!

I can trigger the detector by placing the tip of a flathead screwdriver in front of it, but the foil tape just doesn't work.

Do I need a special kind of cue tape?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-21-2010 05:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, nothing special...I recommend the JacRoe 1" precut tape...one piece works EVERY time.

If you are not getting cues...check on the guide for the cues (they do wear down after time) and also the cue detector spacing to the film...it is adjustable. The film should not be touching the sensor but it can get pretty close.

-Steve

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-25-2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That cue tape you recomended did the job!

I'm not sure where I got the cue tape I was using...

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the size of the foil cue also an issue here? I seem to recall a minimum size being recommended in order to ensure correct operation of the detector. If the tape is too narrow it may not register.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-27-2010 02:38 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't the size that caused it - I tried running multiple pieces of the old tape placed next to each other to no avail.

NEW PROBLEM: Random cue input.

During a performance the other day, the EMK 1 automatically advanced itself in the program, bringing up the lights. Fortunately I was standing right there and I heard it beep. I quickly restored the auditorium lights and backed the program up one step. I put a small piece of paper into the take up on the platter. During the intermission I tore down to the marked section and found no cue.

I decided to add several "blank steps" to the program in case it happened again. When we get near the credits, the program is manually advanced to step 13 for the lights up cue.

I haven't needed them over the last few days. The system has been running perfectly. Until today. During the first show today, it advanced itself 4 times during the feature. (Thank God I put the blanks in!).

Then, after I threaded the second show, but before it was to begin, I heard it beep and looked out to see the curtain start rising!

What's happening here?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-28-2010 08:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience with them...I've never had random cues...I would look for wiring issues or perhaps a bad cue sensor or even a caught piece of foil that it is randomly seeing. You might try putting a meter on the output of the sensor to see just what it is doing, electrically...if it is behaving properly, then perhaps the EMK-1's cue input circuit is the culprit.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2010 03:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this platter or changeover? If automated changeovers, is it happening when the xenon strikes?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: