Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "toe-ing in" L R screen ch. speakers

Author Topic: "toe-ing in" L R screen ch. speakers
James Larden
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2010 01:15 PM      Profile for James Larden   Author's Homepage   Email James Larden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

According to the JBL white paper for specifying theater loudspeakers, it is a recommended practice to angle the L,R screen channels towards the center of the room (specifically that their on-axis extensions converge 2/3 of the distance to the back wall of the cinema). I have never seen this in practice, albeit I've worked in special/academic venues pretty much my whole career. Is it still done or is their some debate in the installer/tech field as to the efficacy of this speaker placement.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 08-16-2010 01:32 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a sound practice to aim the L & R speakers as per the recommendations suggested by your source. The object is to mainly prevent excess spill and spurious reflections from the side walls emanating from those speakers but there is conjecture as to whether comb effects are more noticable in the centre of the auditorium. This shouldn't be a problem with constant directivity horns and the like, but it is important to get the physical phasing of the pressure units as close as possible.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-16-2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX always had all three of the 4675 horns aimed just above the rear center seat on sloped floors. With stadium it varied depending on the exact type of stadium it was. Some houses have mixed slope/stadium seating..

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: