Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Does SONY still make and market SDDS players? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Does SONY still make and market SDDS players?
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 08-16-2010 12:49 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone knows if SONY still markets and makes and SDDS player?

We used to have one back in the day but I haven't seen one in years

I know the film prints have the sound.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2010 01:16 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This announcement is already a few years old.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 08-16-2010 01:30 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy.

That linky, she no worky.

..which pretty well sums up SONY'S "commitment" to product support.

But to answer the original question, Sony no longer manufacture the SDDS equipment, soundheads, &tc. and if the lack of SDDS tracks on local prints (AUS) are any indicator then unless there is a legacy issue that you need to address specifically, then go Dolby Digital. DTS sounds better, but the disc issue can be a major PITB.

Dennis M Dow Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2010 09:19 AM      Profile for Dennis M Dow Jr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey
That linky, she no worky.

I had no trouble with the link.

Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea when that announcement came out?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-16-2010 11:27 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only reason major releases are still coming out with SDDS is because AMC hasn't gone all-digital yet and even they may just steal Dolby Digital readers from their few places closing that have them to swap out for those that are staying 35mm in the mean time.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2010 11:53 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it came out in 2004/2005.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-16-2010 02:09 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sdds: gone and forgotten. . . . at least I'm trying to forget! Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-16-2010 02:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I removed the last DFPR 2000 from a 100 screen chain two weeks ago. They are stacked like chordwood in their warehouse. No reasonable offers refused!

They still have six DFPR 3000 systems running along just fine. The 3000's will be kept as you can feed in an auxillery source... ala D-Cinema D to A converter.

Does anyone here know how to modify a 2000 processor to be able to take a 6.1 Aux input?? There's got to be a convenient point to hack into the audio board in those things... anyone???

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2010 04:11 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you asked me that some time ago.....and I think answer is no for 2000 units. On 2000 units after processing and error corection of signal from reader, that is routed to DSP board which is doeing B chain and so, after that is feed to D/A converter board APR and to main output. There is no way you could just "feed" audio signal like that to chain, or to DSP board. As for aux inputs on 2000, there is no use of them as they are just bypass via relay to main output.

As I mentioned couple of times, still 3000 unit is great gear, first it does optical pretty good, and it has two AUX inputs as well for D cinema today.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 08-17-2010 04:31 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy.

Apologies, the link woks fine. Could have been Chrome playing up.

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2010 10:58 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this point it may be academic, but I would think SDDS would be the BEST digital sound available (except DTS which has the simple problem of the DVDs getting lost), due to it having double redundancy and a far larger physical area than Dolby.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-17-2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One would think so, but Sony screwed up big time by doing one major thing wrong: both tracks are in the same time relationship, not offset so if one side is damaged (or at splices/missing frames) you lose the data from BOTH tracks.

Also they got stuck with the highest-wear area of the film.

That's why they earned the nickname System Dumps During Show.

One positive thing I can say about SDDS..the EQ's and overall B-Chain of those units was excellent and had great sound quality!

I just installed a bunch of Sony DSP-1000's, and they are interesting to say the least. This was a rush job and I cannot go into details here, but it was slam 'em in, do a quick "A" chain and go. Other than no real facility to connect a 'scope or RTA for "A" chain, they seemed to do a good job.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2010 01:49 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would be interesting to have tracks in different offset, but then sound wouldn't be good as it is, because both are used to get more data stored on film, and we do talk on 2,2MBits/sec which is not so easy to do, on other hand dolby has 320KBits/sec which is I think comparable to 128K mp3 recording (on each channel).

Nice you pointed DCP1000, also great unit and it can be still used for D cinema, and thing that I MOST like on it, when doing some special venue show, festivals and so, you can put it up to 8 AUX input board and 8 projector/non sync board...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-17-2010 02:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
One would think so, but Sony screwed up big time by doing one major thing wrong: both tracks are in the same time relationship, not offset so if one side is damaged (or at splices/missing frames) you lose the data from BOTH tracks.
Come on Tony...if you are going to slam something, at least get your facts straight. The two tracks are indeed offset from each other! I don't have the offset handy but it is pretty easy to demonstrate. Put a piece of tape across the film (clear) and run the software and run the error test. When the tape runs through, they will not jump at the same time...I believe "P" will jump first. Since both P and S carry the center channel in an uncompressed format, the offset ensures that it takes a dual failure for a protracted period to drop center channel, ever.

While it is fun to put up the different names of SDDS...and they were mostly earned...at its end, it was a reasonably reliable system. Those that we have in operation still are tracking fine. The AFI/Silver, which often runs "previously enjoyed" prints...if they are SDDS can and do run them...with rarely, if ever an SDDS problem. Note, the AFI/Silver has the rare but coveted DFP-D2500s...known in the booth as the "best damn 8-channel VU meter for that is what they mostly do for non-SDDS films).

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: