Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Rectifier Connector Source?

Author Topic: Strong Rectifier Connector Source?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of STRONG switching xenon power
supplies sitting around I'd like to use as emergency spares.

Does anyone know a source for the male plug that would
mate with the big multi-pin (top) connector in this photo?
 -
I couldn't seem to find any info in the manual.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2010 10:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an Amphenol MS connector. Newark, Mouser or any Amphenol distributed would probably stock it. Strong wants ~100.00 for one but I have purchased them for less from the above sources.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 10:15 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark. I'll poke around the 'net for a part
number. Yea- - I knew they'd be expensive. I was
figuring to spend in the $75-100 range for one.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2010 11:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim... The Bendix part number is 32-9. Not sure if you can cross that to Amphenol or not...

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-14-2010 01:34 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the same insert number as Amphenol and Cannon, it's probably a AN specification number.
There's a lot of options with this connector... obviously you need the male insert but there are crimp, solder, environmental sealed, blah blah blah. The 39-2 is only the insert bit where the wires connect, you need the outside shell with the threaded lock ring and also a cable clamp and the rubber sleeve to fit your cable... the parts are all separate and there are many types of each. The shell options cover 10 or more pages in the Amphenol catalog.
If you're sure you can figure out which combination of parts you need then Newark or whatever will sell them to you. If the catalog just gives you a headache (and hopefully it's not your personal money) just order it from Strong.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2010 02:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The version I've always bought from Newark were the solder type. I would stay away from crimp type pins on this baby unless you have the proper crimp tool for the larger #4 pins. Use a smnallish propane torch to solder the #4 wires in place. There are also a variety of shell options available for these plugs.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-14-2010 07:33 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Newark, Mouser or any Amphenol distributed would probably stock it. Strong wants ~100.00 for one but I have purchased them for less from the above sources.
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The version I've always bought from Newark were the solder type.
Mark, do us all a favor and please post the list of part/stock #s for these parts that you get from Newark or Mouser.

And to anyone else in the future who responds to this kind of request: PLEASE don't just say "I've bought them from XYZ and they are cheaper than ABC..", post the part numbers from whatever vendor you get them from!!

Why? Because if you know the part numbers (or are selling them thru your company) it is a lot more useful to share that info rather than just say "yeah you can get them from ...." since that DOES NOT answer the question!!

Sorry for the mini-rant but this is a pet peeve of mine, and it happens on other forums I frequent as well.

Dave is right, the 32-9 is the AN number (also same as MS or "mil-spec") number.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2010 11:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony... Wish I had the time to go back and look them up. Last time I bought them was several years back. I just happened to have the Bendix connector on my switcher repair bench... I'm set up to go MS connector or hard wire on the test bench with up to a 6kw load since there exist both types of wiring on the units.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: