Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need Advice on Installing Sound system. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Need Advice on Installing Sound system.
Chandradasa Weerasinghe
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 08:41 AM      Profile for Chandradasa Weerasinghe   Email Chandradasa Weerasinghe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Members
I am trying to install a new sound system for my own theater in Sri Lanka, I need to know from experts here how to do this. because we dont have any qualified persons in my area.
Below the discription of my theater and equipments I am going to use.
3 JBL 4675
1 JBL 4642
16 JBL 8330
Dolby CP 65
DTS 6D
I need advice on how many Amp's I need to run and what made I should buy and do I need any more equipments.

The theater size is 75ft long and 40ft wide.

If some one can give me a Blueprint of the wiring, I humbly appreciate the help.

If any members need any similar help pls do not hesitate to PM. and also anybody wants to visit this beautiful Sri Lanka, I am dare to help and show him around.

Thank you all and have a healthy life.

|  IP: Logged

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 07:10 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll need at least 6 amplifiers, one each for the three screen channels, one for your sub, and two for your surrounds.

You could probably do 1000 watts per channel for your screen channels, 2000 watts for each of your surround channels. As for the sub, I'm not sure. I think that model is rated at a max of 5000 watts, with a continuous low frequency max of 2500 or so. So maybe 2000 watts for that one as well.

For your wiring, I would suggest that a separate line be pulled for each speaker. Clearly, this is a requirement for the screen and sub channels, but you could use single feeds to the surrounds.

For your wire, try to use a minimum gauge of 3.3mm -- equivalent to a US 12-gauge wire.

-David

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 09:09 PM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually how about your budget. We can plan as per that and how about the crossover weather you want to use Bi-amp equipment or else mono amp. As u r using Dolby CP-65 i prefer you have a bi-amp audio system. and i am from india . Tamilnadu feel free to ask me

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2010 04:01 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need more than 6 amps there. For screen channels you can use amps in bridge mode, also same for sub only bigger. So something capable of 1000W/4ohm in bridge for L C R, and 2500W/4ohm for sub.
For surrounds I would go with amp capable taking loads of 2OHm per channel, so I would connect 4 of surrounds in paralel on each channel, in that case 2 amps are needed.

If you would go to BI-Amp things are different, and you need two more amps for driving screen HF drivers, plus crossover.

Wiring in quite simple here, use good wire like belden, or find some replacement there. If you need wire scheme from CP65 to Amps and DTS to CP, find manuals in manul section, everything is well described there.

And, at end when everything is installed you will need calibrated microphone and audio analyzer, along with test films to calibrate whole system, and this is most important factor to get it done wright, or else system could sound very bad!

Chandradasa Weerasinghe
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2010 06:59 AM      Profile for Chandradasa Weerasinghe   Email Chandradasa Weerasinghe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Marian, please kindly give in details how to calibrate the system, and where can I find these calibrated microphone and audio analyzer, along with test films. make and model numbers, I really apreciate this help.

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2010 11:38 AM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. You need to get Dolby cat85 and cat67. for making B-chain. And cat97,cat69 and SMPTE buzz track. what kind of projector your are using for projection . And Bi-amp is the good operation for making the sound good and you must have a well trained to make the quality of the theater .

Crossover it works as an active filter which divides the High and low frequency. QSC XC-3, USL XTA-300 , Smart TCX624a. these you can choose with the amplifier your installing .

to get the great depth for your theater use DCA amplifiers. and the speakers are good. Dolby CP65 great to make the theater quality good easily but it based on your MIC and Analyzer.

About surround my suggestion is to make 2 group. in detail. make 2speakers in series as four sets and make them in parallel u can get 4ohms and the height of the surround must be place in exact location . to make the people in the theater to feel the DTS surround.

as per you are making this theater you can call up a Engineer. to complete the work . Because the analyzer and mic cost a lot and you need experience to handle it and and make the theater good in presentation.

I am using Gold line analyzer. It seems to be good now a days D-2 was good.

If any question over there feel free to ask me. any time to my number i know Tamil too.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2010 01:54 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chandradasa although your intentions are good, perhaps it would be best to contact V.V.Tushit Vijay as he suggests for the process of cinema equalisation is far deeper than what it seems like. Seeing an experienced technician performing the setup for the first or couple of times is a good experience. The details involved in the correct setting up is far to complex to explain in a forum. Try reading some manuals as Marin suggested but after that you are better off getting a technician you can assist at the installation and callibration.
Demetris

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-11-2010 11:41 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Demetris. I feel that a forum is not the right place for having a comprehensive training on how to install a sound system from scratch. You would likely end up with a bad result IMHO.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-11-2010 01:13 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Demetris and Marco.

Chandradasa, listen to them and me. Theatre sound systems are complex and most definitely NOT a do-it-yourself project!! You are dealing with several complex pieces of equipment that require proper set-up and calibration. Unless you want to deal with endless problems and grief, you MUST find the budget to hire in a technician to do this installation. Coordinate with that tech by any means necessary, a good tech can direct you on the things that you CAN do yourself (pulling speaker wires, hanging surround brackets, etc.) so that way the time the tech needs to spend on-site will be minimized.

There are many questions to be answered (such as the bi-amp/passive crossovers brought up by V.V. Tushit Vijay) that you need the technical knowledge to answer. Looks like a contract with V.V. would be your best bet, make arrangements to bring him to your theatre to do your installation and you will be very happy with the outcome.

This forum is better used to answer day-to-day operations and film handling issues.

Best of luck to you.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony did pointed good, and trust me, I did seen many good equipment aligned bad and sounding bad because of that, not only in cinema, but in sound bussines and similar.

Chandradasa Weerasinghe
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2010 08:05 PM      Profile for Chandradasa Weerasinghe   Email Chandradasa Weerasinghe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you every one here, I learn somethings I never knew. I will take all your'l advice and try to invite My friend Vijay to Sri Lanka and get this done. VIJAY get ready and I will sposor you for a memorable Vacation...!!!

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2010 06:39 AM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you friends. and As they he had a great interest in knowing the details regarding the installation of the audio equipment.

Thank you once again

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 10:45 PM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Mr Chandradasa Weerasinghe when you are using these type of equipment in your theater with qsc DCA amplifiers and JBL stage why cannot you able to propose DOLBY CP650 . it gets good quality in your theater. Rather than DOLBY CP65 DOLBY CP650 was awesome to install in your theater and you can upgrade it how ever you want it to be. just think about it. bcoz we are using fully upgraded sound system for your theater. but the processor was too old and Dolby was stopped the product for a long time ago.

V.V.Tushit Vijay
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2010 10:46 AM      Profile for V.V.Tushit Vijay   Email V.V.Tushit Vijay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually i try to contact you. But your number is not working try to send your contradict number with your area code. my one is

00+91+9490248001
00+91+9440215034
00+91+9966233551
00+91+8801942566

You can contact in those numbers given below.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2010 10:50 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: V.V.Tushit Vijay
Rather than DOLBY CP65 DOLBY CP650 was awesome to install in your theater and you can upgrade it how ever you want it to be.
I dissagree. The CP65 with the Original 222 for A and Cat 300 or 350's for SR sound much better in Analogue rather than the CP650 which uses SR emulation in the digital domain. Although one should be future ready, if the equipment is already there I would have no problem installing what exists and still offer a great result. A well A-Chain on the optics and a correct sound callibration wields results which come very close to DD.
Demetris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: