Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Wanted: Dolby CP-650 firmware/software latest upgrade

Author Topic: Wanted: Dolby CP-650 firmware/software latest upgrade
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-06-2010 04:03 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dolby CP-650D with firmware/software version 2.0.10.8 for my home screening room. I recently obtained a Cat 790 upgrade card/kit and now it seems I need a software upgrade too. What is the latest version of the firmware/software and where can I get the upgrade disc/file?

Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-06-2010 04:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2.1.9.0 is the first that will work with the Cat 790. It was on all freely distributed CDs (gave them out at the shows)...I believe 2.3.5.3, 2.3.6.3 is also freely distributed on their CDs. You will also need a current version of the CP650 control software (2.3.1.1) to perform the updates if you go to 2.3.x.x.

Steve

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-06-2010 06:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note...for global audio delay (DCinema mostly...though most servers can do it too)...one has to "pass through" version 2.3.4.4 to activate global audio delay. Dolby charges for that version of the software since it adds features to older equipment.

The latest CP650 firmware is 2.3.6.6. This one adds surround 7.1 capability. It was only "free" to those that installed 7.1 for Toy Story 3. It is now a "charge" item. When adding format 91 to a CP650 with 2.3.6.6...one has to add format 91 manually using the front panel controls before the software will "find" it. After that, it will see it in the future.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-07-2010 02:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, Steve.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-21-2012 08:21 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 652 days since the last post.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-21-2012 08:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.

Is firmwmare 2.3.6.3 still the one to get? It is the most current version that Dolby has listed on its web site. Are there any issues with it that would be sufficient cause to go with an earlier version?

This would be for a film installation, not D-cinema, so 7.1 is a nonissue.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-21-2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, AFAIK it is the latest version.

BUT, if you are a changeover house, and do not really need fancy Non-sync formats DO NOT upgrade to it.

I have an ongoing problem at UC Irvine with a "wow" at changeovers and I am pretty sure the new version of the software is at fault.

See THIS THREAD

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 05-21-2012 01:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warning. This is a changeover house, though the projectors are Centurys and the delay will be much less than what Tony has (had?) with his Kinotons. What version worked best for you? And is it possible to downgrade to an earlier version? I don't know what is on this particular unit (I will find out when I am there next later this week).

The only special formats I need are 75 and maybe 80.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-21-2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome.

I believe 2.3.4.4 is the latest trouble-free version I have encountered. I will be doing a service call next week on a room with an older processor that has never had issues so I will try to verify that.

IIRC Norm at Dolby told me that a software upgrade is a total wipe of the operating software so a downgrade is possible. He warned me to make sure that I save all the setup parameters because if the downgrade changes an available format that I was using (which in the case of UCI it will) I may need to re-load and change some of the setup.

I am pretty sure Formats 75 and 80 are available in 2.3.4.4 ..the one I don't want to lose is Format 76 (N/S2 Pro Logic with SW) but I can live without it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 06-01-2012 07:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the advice on this. The upgrade process was smooth as could be. Dolby did a nice job with their software.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-04-2012 01:43 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Scott, I would agree except.... [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

But the upgrade process is pretty quick and painless (just make sure you don't disconnect your computer or have a power outage during the process....) and overall I like the CP650 and its performance.

The main thing to remember about the issue I am having at UCI is the very long perf delay involved which I am sure is a big part of the problem.

And I have confirmed that 2.3.4.4 is the earlier version in many of the rooms I have done that do not have issues, and that Formats 75 and 80 are present.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: