Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film cleaner media takeup strategies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Film cleaner media takeup strategies
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2010 10:26 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a strategy for reducing the amount of "roll off" that I'm seeing with media that's taken up on the Kelmar film cleaner? I generally have to "touch" the cleaner every 40 minutes or so. Strangely, it's only the top media pad that runs off the take up roller. The lower pad has some un-eveness on the take up, but nothing like the top, which might end up with a one inch tail hanging off the take up.

-David

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-05-2010 12:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the end is feeding onto the reel straight on.

When you rewind, make sure the rewound media sits as flat as possible up against the back of the spindle. Don't let it fold though...

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-05-2010 03:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw this thread, I thought it was titled "Film cleaner media take up tragedies". I immediately knew what you were talking about. Some cleaners are just bad, I find. But yeah, putting the tape in the center and feeding it on to the take up core perfectly straight does help. Or you can try to install giant washers to act as flanges.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2010 03:55 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Film cleaner media take up tragedies"

Hah. I almost did have one of those when I forgot to tighten the takeup and the projector proceeded to ingest cleaning media along with the film.

I've thought about the washers, and can't see any drawback, at least on the upper takeup. Doesn't look like enough clearance on the bottom takeup, but then that one takes up with zero problem for me.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance that your upper take up spindle is loose or bent? This could cause this symptom.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2010 04:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is generally caused by not taping the media to the takeup core straight. That being said, often the end of the media is cut slightly off and some people use that as a guide. Don't do that. Do a half wrap around the takeup core and use the edges of the media to line up with the edges of the takeup core and then tape it down. (Make sure your takeup core is truly seated all the way back.)

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2010 09:58 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the mechanics are true, so it may just be me not be careful enough with taping the end on. I was very careful this time, so we'll see how it goes. This is also the first batch of Film-Tech media where I'm not fooling around with media core transfers.

-David

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-06-2010 12:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can cut the media in half for most normal-length films.

Also, it really helps to be extremely careful as you rewind the media. I usually don't have any problems with it taking up unevenly, but then someone else comes along, rewinds the media and then OH MY GOD! It is truly a tragedy and takes several minutes to rewind it after that show, trying to get it back to being straight.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-06-2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The trick to rewinding the media smoothly is to ensure your takeup cores SPIN FREELY once you have loosened the set screw.

Cardinal has found a replacement rubber insert solution which is excellent. I highly recommend anyone who has cleaners that when the thumbscrews are loosened the takeup cores don't spin effortlessly to demand some Cardinal replacements. Don't buy them from Kelmar, they fit too tight!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-06-2010 09:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cut notches out of the Kelmar rubbers.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2010 09:46 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are there such things as replacement cardboard cores for the take up rollers? Mine seem to be saturated with Film Guard and I can't get the tape to stick to them anymore.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-06-2010 11:46 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've been buying film guard, wouldn't you have some of the plastic cores that the stuff got shipped with?

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2010 12:51 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to sound stupid or anything, but can the black plastic media cores be used in place of the cardboard cores on the "take-up" side of the film cleaner. I've never tried to get the cardboard cores off. I always thought they were a part of the unit.

On my Kelmar cleaner, it has cardboard tubes over the take up spindles, and I can loosen the thumb screw to rewind them or tighten it up so the cleaner will wind the media. I bought this cleaner used. Is it possible the cardboard cores I thought were part of the machine was actually somebody elses left-over trash that I've been using over and over for 4 years?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-06-2010 02:18 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
Is it possible the cardboard cores I thought were part of the machine was actually somebody elses left-over trash that I've been using over and over for 4 years?

Yep

When you remove the cardboard tubes from the take-up make sure you get all three parts out of the core, if they are all there. There is like a rubber spacer that goes in the middle of the core to help keep the core from slipping on the take-up shaft.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-06-2010 02:55 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
Not to sound stupid or anything, but can the black plastic media cores be used in place of the cardboard cores on the "take-up" side of the film cleaner. I've never tried to get the cardboard cores off. I always thought they were a part of the unit.
1) The reason that new kelmar cleaning pads tend to include an empty cardboard core is that they expect you to have tossed them after being used. I'd espesially toss them if I'd been using film-guarded pads on them as the cardboard usually became useless really quickly

2) Yes you can use the plastic cores on both ends. But just to avoid having some noobs get confused, you can turn the takeup core so that the rewinding mechanism is going inward (not showing to the outside).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: