Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where should I go for Neumade splicer repair?

Author Topic: Where should I go for Neumade splicer repair?
John Davey
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2010 08:23 PM      Profile for John Davey   Email John Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Neumade 35ss in need of repair, possibly a complete overhaul. Are there techs out there anyone would recommend to perform this task, or should I contact Neumade directly? A repair person close to me in Chicago or possibly Indianapolis would be a bonus.

Thanks,
John davey

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2010 09:36 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis with Hadden Theatre Supply repairs them.

Forget about ordering any splicers parts from Neumade. I ordered parts back on 12/1/2009 and most were put on back order. I figured the order had been canceled since I hadn't received anything and ordered the parts from Hadden. Well, this past Thursday I received 1 of the parts. That's almost 8 months later. [Eek!] I also gave up ordering tape from Neumade and now order it from Film-Tech.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-31-2010 10:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget about the Splycemar 35mm splicer. It is the same exact thing as the Neumade. I wouldn't bother with Neumade any more for any reason. They're dead and buried as far as the exhibition industry is concerned.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-01-2010 03:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, rebuilt many of these Newtapers myself since other booth clowns love to place them on platters and watch them fly across the room when the deck takes off.

Usually the potmetal handle will bust first..but, I'll take them apart, use FG to clean them down with, do the rebuild and alignment of the two blades and we're off and running again.

Right now, where I'm at, I need to rebuild three of them ... and do have the parts...

CIRO Guillitoines are more easier to rebuild since the one piece blade can be trued and resharpened.

Just the punch and die alignment has to be exact on both splicers

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2010 06:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"since the one piece blade can be trued and resharpened"

Yea, and it'll be good for about 6 more cuts! Now you're starting to sound like an older Reel employee from way back when...

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2010 11:51 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can send them to American Cinema Equipment for repair [Smile]

Yeah, I'm pimpin' our services. [Razz]

I've been rebuilding them for AMC. We have no problem getting parts in a sort of timely manner [Roll Eyes]

I run the whole thing through my parts washer, hit it with splicer cleaner, lube it, adjust it and replace anything that's questionable. That almost always translates to needing a new cutter and they always get new blades and rubber feet. It's amazing how much these things get abused, they're not exactly cheap.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-08-2010 03:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
to sound like an older Reel employee from way back when...
lol..you learn to deal with on what you had and make it endure, unless what is really needed and you can prove that a necessity on spending money for it is needed.

You used old trailers for leaders since 28 bucks was wasting money for a roll of new white frame mylar leader when trailers will do..

..and before I left, I was stockpiling old bulbs just in case ...

Glad to be done with all of that ....

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 12:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Usually the potmetal handle will bust first..
Our Guillotine splicer came with a plastic handle. (Or Bakelite, maybe) It still lasted a long time. We got it in about 1977 and I'm on handle #3 now.

I remember when we got that thing, our boss told me "Be careful with that, it costs about $500.00." Well I didn't believe him because he'd been known to exaggerate in the past. ("Don't touch that screen, it costs over $10,000 to replace it if you put a hole in it!!")

But then after buying the place, I got a look at a splicer price list and ... crap!!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 01:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, those potmetal handles for Neumades/Splycemars will steal a Ben Franklin out of your pocket without you knowing about it...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 07:44 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, you wouldn't by any chance have one that has CinemaScope Fox punches & sprockets, would you? What did they call the Scope models -- 35CS? Refurbished would be fine. New would be expensive, no doubt. Or if we send you our 35SS model, can it be converted to Scope?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-09-2010 07:55 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do people use to lubricate these? I usually just use a tiny bit of Century oil on the vertical posts. Is there a better option?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 10:11 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
What do people use to lubricate these? I usually just use a tiny bit of Century oil on the vertical posts. Is there a better option?
I've used 3-n-1 oil, Simplex oil, and most recently Film-Guard.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-09-2010 11:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CinemaScope version is indeed the 35CS. We have sold a few. The only way to convert is with a new registration plate and perforator. They are not cheap!

Note, Cardinal Sound & Motion Picture Systems as well a MANY other companies rebuild/rework the Neumade (and other) splicers.

Steve

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 01:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use FG to clean my splicers. I have an old CIRO/Guillitoine "gold painted" CS slicer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: