Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 1930's DeVry Theater amplifier

Author Topic: 1930's DeVry Theater amplifier
Ian Shackleford
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2010 01:46 AM      Profile for Ian Shackleford   Email Ian Shackleford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I collect and restore antique radios and similar items. I picked up a Devry theater amplifier the other day, and can not find anything about it. The largest (power) transformer says 144H 110volts 60cy 100w. That seems to me to be the model , 144h. The amp is from ~1930. it uses 2-57's or 58's 3-45's and an 80. Some one also added a 6v6 and a small 6.3v filament xformer at some point. The Amplifier has a slanted face, and a large orange celluloid control panel, that is illuminated and 4 knobs.
I am looking for the schematic and any information related to this.
Thanks, Ian

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-30-2010 01:25 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian and welcome to Film-Tech. You'll find a lot of helpful (and colorful) characters here. [Big Grin]

The part number of the transformer makes me think it is a re-badged Western Electric or even Altec amp. You can try looking up some Western Electric or Altec amps with the same tube compliment and I'm willing to bet you'll get a schematic that will work.

I wish my colleague Conrad was still alive, he knew all about that older gear.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2010 01:32 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that 6v6 and xfrmr may have been part of an oscillator circuit for the exciter lamp supply or perhaps the phantom voltage for an old photoelectric sound pickup.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-30-2010 07:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Devry did use a high frequency AC excitor lamp powersupply

Ian Shackleford
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2010 10:00 PM      Profile for Ian Shackleford   Email Ian Shackleford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 6v6 Really does NOT belong in the amp. It is clear it was a later addition. The transformer powering its filament is from a company that made replacements for things. The Amp has mic and phono inputs, tone control, master volume, mike/phono volume, and an on off switch. It seems that it is only for the sound, and not for the projector.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2010 09:19 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Understood--just opining as to why someone added it and what purpose it was added to address.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: