Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theatrical print quality (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theatrical print quality
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-28-2010 04:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I purchased a Blu-Ray disc of CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON yesterday, there was a trailer for the current KARATE KID on it in 1080p HD and the picture and color quality was just gorgeous. unfortunately, this is not the way the movie looked in a theatre when I saw THE KARATE KID this past Sunday at the Pearlridge 16 in Aiea, Hawaii. The theatre did an excellent job with the presentation. The fault lies with the print and how sloppy the lab was with their lab work. when the struck the prints of this movie. Although it would be nice to see movies with Blu=Ray quality in theatres projected from 35mm prints, I would be satisfied with a picture quality that has nice contrast and color. The print I saw at the Pearlridge was in a very small auditorium with about 100 seats and the screen was only about twenty five feet wide but the picture projected on that screen had flat contrast, grainy, and the color was very flat. Watching the movie at this theatre made me feel I was watching it from a VHS tape.

When I pay almost full price to see a movie in a theatre, I expect something better or at least equal to what I can see at home in Blu-Ray.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-28-2010 04:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It could've been dirty optics or port window, the screen type (plus curved is worse) and even the design of the auditorium in terms of drapery colors that caused those issues. Not necessarily the print (but it was probably mostly due to that).

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-28-2010 05:33 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No disrespect intended, Brad but all of the possible reasons you have mentioned does not make any sense at all except when you acknowledged it could be due to poor print quality which it was in my opinion.. If the projection lens was dirty, the image on the screen would not be razor sharp as it was when I saw the movie. The color of the draperies also should not affect the quality of the projected image because the darkened auditorium would prevent it from happening.

If what you say is true, why have I not noticed the projected image problem I had experienced last weekend with many other movies I had seen in this same auditorium over the years?

-Claude

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-28-2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude,

Nowhere in your post did you say the print was razor sharp. You actually used the word grainy, to which many people would not associate the term "razor sharp" with (although yes large grain can be sharply focused).

With everything else you threw into your post to work from, dirty optics are definitely a strong possibility. Remember, people make mistakes. I've seen people brush up against a lens and not even realize it. It happens. Likewise often port window glass is not kept clean, or inexpensive cleaners are used on it or the procedure is improperly done. Again, it happens. That's why one week the picture might look great and the next week, not so much.

Curved screens DO kill contrast and along with that, color. This is a fact of life because the left side is reflecting light onto the right side and vice versa. This is why I detest curved screens. They are contrast killers and on top of that they add geometric distortion to the image.

Similarly having anything but solid black at the front end of the auditorium will also affect your contrast, and with that the perceived color strength.

Yes there are a lot of bad prints out there, but my point still stands even with your late addition of data that there are other factors involved other than the print.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-28-2010 11:09 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inadequate brightness would also cause colors to be lacking in intensity and contrast to be low. I've always suspected that the mpx. operators often don't pay much attention to the smallest houses in the complex simply because the pictures that are there have already earned all the bucks they're going to.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2010 12:16 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately print labs do pretty bad job with lab printing. First of all they print shaky prints. I have seen this effect in Robin Hood and Prince of Persia from what I remember. The effect is clear that is NOT the projector as the international subtitling which was imposed after was rock steady. Either they are trying to kill film and boost digital sales or they simply don't give a damn anymore.
Demetris

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2010 12:45 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A burned element in the scope lens may also cause the flat contrast problem.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-29-2010 03:16 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

The KARATE KID was flat. Not scope

Demitris,

I am inclined to agree with you

-Claude

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2010 03:21 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Karate Kid movie is SCOPE.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2010 03:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it that they make the DVD/BR's from 1st gen master negatives, or positives?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-29-2010 03:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter the format, any lens can have a burned element from an overfocused bulb.

Monte, they probably make Blu-rays from the digital intermediate.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2010 04:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if by chance Claude saw a "drive-in" print, possibly timed for an IMAX auditorium, but ran in a normal one? I don't recall the new KK movie looking the way he described. It wasn't anything phenomenal, but it certainly didn't stand out in terms of poor quality the way he saw it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-29-2010 07:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't konw about the process with DI films. With conventional postproduction methods, a video transfer would typically be done from an intepositive, which is one generation away from the camera negative.

Release prints are typically three generations away from the camera negative: camera negative->interpositive->internegative->release print. In the case of a DI, the camera negative is scanned, and the output is typically done to an interpositive. From that point, the rest of the process is as usual. My understanding is that it is possible to do digital output to multiple internegatives, but the time and cost involved is prohibitive.

Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2010 09:47 AM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying it wasn't a bad print, but couldn't at the least the large grain be from a short throw to a large screen in a small auditorium? Essentially magnifying the image a great deal. Or am I thinking about that wrong...

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2010 12:29 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that they make scope look flat is a bad sign!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: