Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Event Cinemas, Innaloo, Australia - NON EVENT (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Event Cinemas, Innaloo, Australia - NON EVENT
Mark Nicol
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Mark Nicol   Email Mark Nicol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heralded as the Upper Class Cinema Experience this left alot to be desired.

Firstly the scope lense got stuck changing from previews so half the screen was screwed for about 10 minutes including Angelina Jolie preview!!!!.

The main feature starts totally out of wack with 2 yards/metres of the image to the right of screen missing the masking, and a very blurry left hand image of the print for the whole movie! I used to see this all the time but used to be corrected by at least the few minutes of the movie.

During dark scenes there was a metre square bright box that kept on coming and going on the right side of the screen, obviously from the projection box (no it wasnt the exit door).

Plus the Digital sound dropped in and out all screening.

What 2cent hicks do they have running these mega/giga now!

|  IP: Logged

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2010 08:38 AM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,
When going to other companies venues I do like to sit and watch the "blues", (mistakes to the non-Australian).
Going out and finding an Usher usually helps at GU/Event, (if you can find one), they get on their walky phone and one of the 2 operators they have running around in that 20? cinema maze will , (eventually), fix the problem.
In comparison, I pointed out a blown right main speaker at Hoyts a couple of years ago, took a day manager back into the cinema with me so he could hear the hissing, then went home. About 6 months later went to a media preview in the same cinema that still had that same blown speaker...
These days, unless I'm screening it, I usually just wait for the DVD or Blue-ray disc so I don't have to listen to the punters rustling their chip packets.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-31-2010 09:54 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife hates going to the movies with me because I can't sit still unless the picture is perfect.

On more than one occasion, I have gone up to the booth and fixed a problem myself... In theaters I don't even work at. The saddest part is that nobody ever knew I was there. I found the booth deserted every time!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2010 11:15 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Glen Rich
one of the 2 operators they have running around in that 20? cinema maze
Wow! What Luxury! 2 operators for a 20 screen! When I was with Loews they made us run with one operator for 20 screens. That was always awesome!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-31-2010 11:28 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow! What Luxury! 2 operators for a 20 screen! When I was with Loews they made us run with one operator for 20 screens. That was always awesome!
I know the feeling. If I was opening weekday for the local 30 screen AMC, it was just me until 3 pm or so. Granted, they had shows staggered apart early in the day...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2010 01:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really surprised more chains didn't buy into the endless loop platters. That way they could have NO projectionist in the booth and be extra assured the projectors (or prints) were never cleaned. [Razz]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-31-2010 03:08 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a Kelmar auto media rewinder? [Wink]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2010 10:36 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong but I think Loews tried opening a six plex with endless loop platters in the early 90's and the results were less than stellar! According to the story I was told they replaced them all with conventional platters in less than six months.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2010 12:45 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Endless loop platters are really mistaken. Given the flexibility needed in modern day multiplexes with film moving e.t.c, they are not of much use in Multiplexes but more or less have better use in 4 screen cinemas or less.
Demetris

Mark Nicol
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2010 06:30 AM      Profile for Mark Nicol   Email Mark Nicol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies, I think the main problem apart from only 2 projectionists for a 20 screen complex is they mix digital and film previews/advertising together. Maybe they only check out the masking for the previews.

I just wish we had the earlier days with multiple curtains and tabs with lighting changes and organists and ushers, and correct masking and 70mm film projection, and balconies!

I was spoilt by growing up in Auckland NZ and having viewed all of my favourite movies at the Civic (70mm), Cinerama(3 strip), Embassy(70mm), Plaza (ToddAO) etc all in real Roadshow presentation. http://www.fungusfilms.co.nz/interior/retro.html

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2010 07:33 PM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sean McKinnon
quote: Mark Nicol was the last to post

Western Australian public building regulations... if there wasn't a minimum representation required of Projectionist/Fire Officer under state law, you can bet some companies would be running a single operator,(even between complexes).

Scott Christopher
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2010 09:29 PM      Profile for Scott Christopher   Email Scott Christopher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Glen Rich
Western Australian public building regulations... if there wasn't a minimum representation required of Projectionist/Fire Officer under state law, you can bet some companies would be running a single operator,(even between complexes).
I know of a cinema here in Adelaide that's running a single operator between complexes (approx 100m apart, and on the other side of the road).

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2010 01:41 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just wish we had the earlier days with multiple curtains and tabs with lighting changes and organists and ushers, and correct masking and 70mm film projection, and balconies!

It can be done...but - for all the trimmings - people would essentially have to pay much higher ticket prices. The question is - would they be prepared to?

Maybe this can be achieved. After all, people pay large sums these days to attend rock concerts, etc.

Also, interestingly I think today's ticket prices are a hangover from the days of far larger attendance / occupancy ratios. By rights, in the modern world of relatively lower cinema occupancies, ticket prices should be much higher in order to maintain a given level of quality. But instead of course, costs have been cut - way too far - leading to a generally compromised experience.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 10:24 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back a few years this multiplex had a twin drive-in as part of the complex; did they use the same projectionists for both then?

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 07:00 AM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
No.The drive-in had a full time Projectionist plus a casual. The Single screen in place there also had it's own full time Projectionist plus casual. When the multiplex was first built it had 8 screens, including the old single screen which was at the end of the new building.
The 8 screens had a dedicated staff of full time projectionists plus casuals. Occasionally the casuals moved between screens in the metro area, but usually just worked the one site.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: