Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » adjusting start up speed on FP20

Author Topic: adjusting start up speed on FP20
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2010 08:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of my FP20's takes significantly longer to get up to speed, so that i have to thread between 7 and 6 in the countdown for changeover, compounding my troubles in avoiding flutter in the sound at changeover. how can i get the machine to start up more quickly? the machine is from 1974, kinoton brand, belt drive with regular? (not sync) motors. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-17-2010 08:26 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, Does the machine have electronic inverters driving the motor? (You'll def. hear a whine when the motor is running if it does.) If so there is a "ramp time" parameter that can be changed to speed up (or slow down) the ramp up speed.

However, I have to ask..has it always been this way or is it something that started happening recently?

If it has always been that way, the ramp time is likely off on that machine. How to reset that would depend on the inverter drive installed in your machine.

If not, beware you may have an intermittant starting to go bad or some other mechanical issue which is binding the machine slightly.

Finally if you don't have inverter drives then either there is a mechanical binding or the belt is worn and slipping.

Steve can help more too on this one.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-19-2010 05:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the older FP20 use a bank of capacitors on the door to control the motors starting torque and some were usually left unwired you may have to experiment otherwise check the intermitent coupling for too much tension in the outboard bearing set screw

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: