Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor Film Boxes Breaking Up? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Technicolor Film Boxes Breaking Up?
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-14-2010 10:44 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else having problems with the new Tech boxes? I have one that looks fairly new, but the flaps are starting to break off at the fold lines. From the look if it, they won't handle a lot of bending back and forth.

Not sure, but I wonder if their using a corrugated pattern opposite the one the DFS boxes have might be the problem. With the Tech boxes, the pattern is parallel to the tears.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2010 02:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, somebody give an empty box to a bored usher one weekday afternoon and ask them to open and close the flaps 100 times. Lets see what happens. [Razz]

Speaking of films in boxes though FUCK YOU TO WARNER! Good god what bonehead decided to pack 7 VERY FULL reels of Inception in one box, and then drop in a dozen trailers as well just to make it stupidly heavy! Seriously, we weighed it and it came in at about 80 pounds fully loaded. 80 POUNDS! And bear in mind this was in a large square box with a handle that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to carry by your side without bending your spine sideways.

Jackasses. Grrrrrrrrr. [fu]

If anyone gets hurt over this movie, please sue.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2010 04:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
With the Tech boxes, the pattern is parallel to the tears.

You watch, TECH will do something to revise this as they did with all of those reel flange design modificaions they did a few years back.

Luckilly, I had two prints of that weighty monster to haul on a hand truck in the elevator to upstairs. It's like "Dang! what is the reason for such weight in one container-think that people can heft 80 lbs without flinching?"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2010 03:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lawsuit would never work. If you pick up an 80 pound box without help and wrench your back, that's not the box's fault.

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2010 04:56 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received "Inception" in 2 containers. The entire movie was in the box, with the trailers in a regular 2 reel capacity can. I'm going to send it back with only five reels in the box and two reels in the can, the way they should have shipped it to everybody in the first place. Or, as with "Robin Hood" from Technicolor, in two smaller boxes.

These people need to to be kicked in the balls instead of busting ours!

Bill Slaughter
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2010 08:11 PM      Profile for Bill Slaughter   Email Bill Slaughter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, You have an elevator!! Must be nice. We have about 30 steps. Prints like Inception get heavy.

Robert D Hall
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2010 01:51 PM      Profile for Robert D Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Robert D Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you maen brad our copy of Inception came the same way.i got it half way to the booth and had to set it down. i even opened it up to see why the hell it was so hevey.i expected to see bars of lead or bricks.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-24-2010 01:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once more...you guys aren't forced to carry the whole box full of reels. Take three or four at a time and make two trips. Back saved.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-24-2010 01:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But the point is that had it come in two 4-reel boxes, it would have been easy to carry in one trip.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2010 03:45 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Speaking of films in boxes though FUCK YOU TO WARNER! Good god what bonehead decided to pack 7 VERY FULL reels of Inception in one box, and then drop in a dozen trailers as well just to make it stupidly heavy! Seriously, we weighed it and it came in at about 80 pounds fully loaded.
dont they have the 16Kg rule in USA yet, brought it in here , illegal by worksafe to load more than that weight onto one person , thus now construction workers can no longer wheelbarrow concrete.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-24-2010 02:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad - correct, but it's not like you have a choice once the film is in house.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2010 07:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you injure your back at work carrying a film box that should be workers compensation insurance carried by your employer which would cover your injuries and lost wages.

AND if you were to actually sue the box manufacturer and somehow were actually to recover a verdict then in most states you would first have to repay the workers compensation carrier back for the money which it paid out on your behalf (called subrogation) before you put a dime in your pocket. [Eek!]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-25-2010 10:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan M. Crist
If you injure your back at work carrying a film box that should be workers compensation insurance
If your employer ORDERS you to carry that whole box in one trip then you might be right, but insurance doesn't usually pay off for doing something that just isn't smart. (Well it's not supposed to, anyway.)

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2010 10:51 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
but insurance doesn't usually pay off for doing something that just isn't smart. (Well it's not supposed to, anyway.)
What!? Personal resposibilty?! In this day and age?! Lol...

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 09:13 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Good god what bonehead decided to pack 7 VERY FULL reels of Inception in one box
What? You guys aren't receiving your prints in boxes like this:
 -

This is how most of my shipments have been coming lately.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: