Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aster Auditorium Seating and Sound

Author Topic: Aster Auditorium Seating and Sound
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 10:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here have any experience using this company?

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2010 03:57 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That company used to be known as Tankersley Theatre Supply. When the owner died a few years ago it was taken over by a partner and the name changed. They have given me several quotes on seating and even sent pictures, I'd have no problem working with them.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2010 04:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah ok. I've done business with Tankersley. Good people.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-13-2010 05:19 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Acyually it is a mixed bag. If it was good equipment when they ripped it out of the previous theatre; it is still good. If not, then it could be terrible.

I had a customer who purchased 2 "rebuilt" Xetron lamphouses. I soild him the missing parts and also 2 igniter and 2 reflectors. Does that sound rebuilt to you?? Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-13-2010 06:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only ever made a phone call to Aster to inquire about stock, but haven't purchased anything from them. Our owners purchased two Christie SLC-30 lamphouses from Tankersley when it was around and they are in just awful condition as well as the automations that were included with them. I'd really like to know where they came out of.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The term "rebuilt" to many dealers seems to be:

*Clean it up
*Repaint if necessary
*Maybe replace something blatantly broken
*Resell as rebuilt

Be very, very careful when purchasing used equipment!

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2010 10:31 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we have 12 "rebuilt" 5 star sound heads at one of our theatres. I guess they forgot to put new bearings in.

These were not from Aster.

I just feel like complaining.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-15-2010 06:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOTHING is ever sold by Hadden unless it is equal to or better than new. To assure this, all equipment is thoroughly checked under load and then repaired (or more) at our shop. Hard to compete, though, against the opportunists. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-15-2010 07:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You usually get what one pays for
there is an old saying
If own wants to buy good oats be prepared to pay fair price but if the oats that have gone through the horse are ok then we can negociate [Smile]

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2010 02:22 AM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased some seating from Aster, both used seating and new seating. I am very happy with the seating that I got as well as the customer service that went along with it to help me solve any problems.

Both of the owners, Allen and Jim, have stopped by the theatre as they traveled through the area to help me figure out what seating to get when I first bought the theatre. I have been very pleased with everything I have had to do with them as far as the seating goes. I have only purchased the seating from them so I can't speak to how they deal with other equipment.

I have mostly dealt with Allen. I believe that he has owned or managed remodels for several theatres in the past. If I understood him correctly he was working with the Tankersley company before he became an owner of it.

I felt that I was dealing with honest people who were willing to follow through after the sale with customer service.

Cameron Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2010 09:48 AM      Profile for Cameron Andrews   Email Cameron Andrews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first used Aster when I opened my Drive-in. This drive-in has failed multiple times under various operators and the lease is year to year so I had to go cheap as possible. Allen got me set up for very affordable prices. The equipment wasn't in the best of shape but he didn't try to tell me it was "rebuilt" or the like. He was very straight forward and honest. When I bought it I knew it would need work. Once I went through everything I got on screen with a great pictures (except for the dang bright lights from the storage facility behind me!!). The Drive-in is now doing very well. I would recommend Aster as long as you don't think everything you buy (no matter what the price) should be like-new. Allen is not afraid to tell you what condition it is actually in.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: