Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » E7 framing handle when changing intermittent (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: E7 framing handle when changing intermittent
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2010 06:05 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What position is the framing handle when reinstalling the intermittent?
All the way down ...all the way up..or in the middle?
I have to remove the intermittent to drain all the oil and replace the oil.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-11-2010 07:18 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall that there is ascrew to remove to get the oil out like on a Century or old Super. (???) Louis

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2010 02:10 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

I'm aware of the drain screw....however it is not at the bottom of the intermittent.......just can't turn the frame handle.
That's why I must remove the intermittent to drain the oil.
Just need to know where to turn the frame handle for reinstall.

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesnt make any difference where it is. You sound like the framing mechanism is "frozen" or some other abnormality exists. If you can`t get at the drain screw with the movement installed something is radically wrong.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-11-2010 09:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you may have an issue with the shutter compensator jamming the framer

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 10:19 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have the movement installed wrong as when I turn the framing handle all the way down the drain hole on the intermittent
is at the 5:00 position and not at the bottom so as to drain the oil.
That is what I need to do ...so I have to remove the intermittent to drain the oil but need to know if the framing handle has to be in any particular position to reinstall the intermittent.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-12-2010 12:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it doesn't matter but you may need to turn the framer to access one of the clamp screws
the manual here is very detailed in the procedure

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all................finally got the oil drained and the intermittent reinstalled.
Correct oil added.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 05:36 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what IS the correct oil?

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2010 08:30 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay........if you have Simplex Projector Oil......use it ...or SAE 20W Non-Detergent.

20W is just very hard to find ........I looked every where here in SW Michigan....Can't find it.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2010 09:27 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! Thanks Paul. We have the Simplex oil, but it doesn't take much to make me doubt somthing I thought I was sure of. [uhoh]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-20-2010 09:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't SAE 20 a bit on the heavy side for any Simplex? I seem to remember it was about 10 weight. None of the original Simplex oil I have remaining in cans around here is 20 weight by any means. Even the stuff Strong sells is not that heavy.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-20-2010 09:58 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex/Century oil is 10# non detergent. I had all of it tested about 25 years ago. (Motiograph used grease.)

The issue is getting thin enough oil to permeate the oilite bearings. Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-20-2010 10:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Vollmers
I must have the movement installed wrong as when I turn the framing handle all the way down the drain hole on the intermittent is at the 5:00 position and not at the bottom so as to drain the oil.
That is what I need to do ...so I have to remove the intermittent to drain the oil but need to know if the framing handle has to be in any particular position to reinstall the intermittent.

"Captain Obvious" would say that you should put it in so the oil drains out when you turn the handle all the way down. Wouldn't he?
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

[Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-21-2010 10:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought so Louis. Thanks for confirming that. I think Paul had better get the 20 weight out before it seizes up!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: