Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Knight and Day attached trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Knight and Day attached trailer
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-22-2010 12:52 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an FYI, Wall Street trailer attached to Knight and Day was added at the Deluxe depot. The trailer on my print was out of frame on both the trailer side and the H-1 side - and it didn't net out to being in frame.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-22-2010 03:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..mine was attached but during the DeLuxe Labs print run, thus no out-of-frame issues with my print.

You prob got stuck with the rare, oddball one where the lab somehow didn't get it printed with the run and had to splice one on afterwards.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-22-2010 04:32 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's possible, but I've received prints like this probably half a dozen times before. I don't actually keep track of when it happens, but it does seem to happen with Fox prints than those from any other studio.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-22-2010 09:49 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
The trailer on my print was out of frame on both the trailer side and the H-1 side - and it didn't net out to being in frame.
That seems more like it was printed onto the reel correctly and cut off of it by someone incorrectly but since they reattached at the same point they originally cut, it stayed in-frame between the two.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-22-2010 10:24 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
It's possible we received a print that was used for a preview somewhere and the projectionist had inserted a policy trailer between the trailer and the reel. However, all of the other heads and tails were still attached to the reel and several reels had the bar code stickers intact.

What has happened before is the film won't have an attached trailer printed on the film and then the depot will attach the trailer per studio request before shipping.

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2010 11:26 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Admittedly i was in a horrible rush and had no desire to redo the labs tape splice seeing as it "Looked" fine.
Turns out it was out of frame.

And i should have known.
This is at least the 5th or 6th fox print in recent times that ive had this problem.

And fox likes to send me crappy, busted up reels too

[Mad] [fu]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-23-2010 12:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kyle Butler
And fox likes to send me crappy, busted up reels too
Don't blame Fox, for it's DFS that assembles the flanges on the cores when the prints comes in at the depot.

And, they may still have a bunch of defect flanges that won't fit too well on the cores, or simply don't know how to assemble the flanges on the cores - in which I've experienced this way too many times.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 06-23-2010 12:38 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And how can all this out-of-frame [bs] be avoided?

By doing what we have been screaming out for years ...

put frame lines on trailers, tags, snipes, headers and tails

It isn't rocket science, and it isn't hard for the labs to spit out prints with frame lines. Hell, it even makes the labs life easier when it comes to lab splices.

One day.....one day....

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2010 02:39 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, at least yours was a straight cut. The one I received was not spliced on the head end of the preview, but the tail end looked like it had been cut with a bowie knife. The cut started above one sprocket hole, and curved down below the next sprocket hole on the other side. I saved the splice, and I'll upload it if it turns out well when I scan it. Worst splicing job I have ever seen.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-23-2010 02:43 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Badly made, out of frame, single-sided tape splice between the "attached" trailer and the feature.

Worse, the idiot who made the splice cut into the soundtrack for the 20th Century Fox logo at the start of the feature.

Oh, and as has become usual for DFS prints, most of the reels were assembled incorrectly. At least this print came in normal cans, with the correct title on them, and without an anti-piracy flyer inside.

In any case, I hate attached trailers, especially the ones that aren't printed that way. The whole concept just causes more work for everyone involved.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-23-2010 02:48 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
most of the reels were assembled incorrectly
...and with working with Christie MUTS, you have to disassemble them anyway so the dogpin holes on both flanges and core can align up with the dogpin on the MUT.

This is where STRONG MUTS have it made with their small dogpin setup..and even then, once in a while, flange disasssembly and reassembly is still needed.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-23-2010 04:38 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that gets me with the reel flanges is that even with cores that have 7 holes, the idiots at DFS will still not get the hole on the core lined up with the hole on the flanges.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2010 08:41 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print was out of frame as well.

I imagine that DFS hires people as cheap as possible, like most places do... They give them a minute or two of training, and then turn them loose on a pile of pancakes.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If FilmTreat, who makes the good clip-together reels, would just listen to me and drill that second hole in their reel flange, it wouldn't matter which way the depot guys assemble the reels in relation to the core.

Of course when the depots assemble the reels incorrectly, that causes the people in the field to have to pull the reels apart and re-assemble them correctly...meaning the reels wear out twice as fast. Bad for the depots and studios that have to pay for more reels, good for the makers of the reels.

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2010 01:20 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Don't blame Fox, for it's DFS that assembles the flanges on the cores when the prints comes in at the depot.

And, they may still have a bunch of defect flanges that won't fit too well on the cores, or simply don't know how to assemble the flanges on the cores - in which I've experienced this way too many times.

I generally don't have a problem with the other studio's reels for one reason or another.

It just doesn't seem like a coincidence to me anymore that every FOX film ive built in the last 4 years has been sent on the worlds oldest busted up reels.
Except a-team.
I was happy and surprised to see that everything was on BRAND NEW reels, in a brand new set of cans. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: