Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Platter wrapping issue

Author Topic: Strong Platter wrapping issue
Daniel Forbrich
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2010 06:56 PM      Profile for Daniel Forbrich   Email Daniel Forbrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, first of all I wanna mention I've trolled here for quite a bit, and I've learned a lot from you guys, thanks for that!

Now, I've been having a weird issue that I can't seem to pinpoint with a Strong 35-A3 platter. Every month or two randomly it seems like the top platter when paying out, will just stop spinning and cause minor brain wraps in the middle of the film.

This has happened maybe 3-4 times in the last 6 months, and before I was chalking it up to misthreading, as it had never happened to me, only the other projectionists. However, today it happened to me as well, and I thouroughly checked all threading and it was fine, it just appeared that the platter must have stopped spinning. I was able to start it right back up with no issue for the rest of the film as well.

The last time it happened to another projectionist, the next day I swapped out the brain thinking maybe it was the brain malfunctioning, but it happened off of the same platter today with the new brain, so I figure that rules that out. All I know now is it always wraps on the top platter when it is paying out.

For now I'm just using the bottom two platters, any helpful advice would be appreciated! thanks

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 08:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..check for brush wear in that top motor for these vacuum motors will eat brushes, esp. when the "com" has worn down.

good luck-Monte

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: