Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong SCDC3 platter system

Author Topic: Strong SCDC3 platter system
Zack Strickland
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 04:16 PM      Profile for Zack Strickland   Email Zack Strickland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I replaced all of the platter bulbs the other day because they have all been out for over a year. I found the same (looking) bulb at autozone for super cheap bulk price. I was exstatic to see the booth lit up with the platter lamps. Like frikin Christmas. But as of today, 3 days later, 2/3 of them have already blown. I don't have my manual for these platter systems, nor can i find it here on the film-tech website. Does anyone know what bulb i need and where to get it, so i can get a normal bulb life from my platters' lights?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-17-2010 06:04 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Zack, you just learned first hand the meaning of "You get what you pay for." Bet those cheap lamps were also made in China.

Stick with quality lamps like Eiko (which are inexpensive but good) and you'll be fine.

You can go online to Mouser www.mouser.com or Digi-Key www.digikey.com and with the original lamp specs get replacements. You'll need the voltage, base style and if you can read it, the OEM part number (like 1159 or whatever.)

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 06:30 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the SCDC's use the same bulb as an AP3? If so, I wouldn't have thought you'd find a 120-130v bulb at Autozone.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-17-2010 06:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still no substitute for a nice, heavy duty 130 v Sylvania?Osram bulb. Louis

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 08:13 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure those bulbs you found at Autozone were rated for 120v? Or were they 12v? How long would a 12v bulb last on 120v? I would think it would blow almost immediately, but I guess that would depend on how thick the filament is.

Ian Leach
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2010 11:49 AM      Profile for Ian Leach   Email Ian Leach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
28 Volts, 0.06 Amps, T-3 1/4, Miniture Wedge Base, I use EIKO656 Miniture Incandescent Lamps, 2500 hours life. 56 cents each.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-19-2010 07:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AutoCRAPzone = [Eek!]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-20-2010 11:33 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Ian's post explains why the bulbs didn't last. [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-24-2010 09:34 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think those are the correct lamps. The SCDC platter runs on DC... the motors run fast enough on 28VDC to do the job. I haven't ever measured the normal working voltage of an Alpha or AP but it probably doesn't get much higher AC voltage from the variac.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: