Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Playing Twilight (2008) and New Moon before Eclipse?

Author Topic: Playing Twilight (2008) and New Moon before Eclipse?
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 03:54 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you one of the lucky ones playing the first two films before the midnight show of Twilight Saga Eclipse? Be sure to check your prints.

Summit was nice enough to deliver our prints, so I had plenty of time to check them today. Aside from the usual extra tape and cue marks left on them, it was obvious I had "mix and match" reels from multiple prints. Some reels had two frames left on heads and tails, one reel had shoe polish, and various reels had different types of splicing tape left on.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised to find that in the end, I was left with two reasonably clean prints, which leads me to believe that Summit went to the trouble to see that the prints were in good shape. If so, that is impressive.

Am I the lucky one, or have others received good prints as well?

|  IP: Logged

Matt Johnston
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 07:00 PM      Profile for Matt Johnston   Email Matt Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't checked mine yet. Here's to hoping!!!

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 10:56 PM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing them all and glad to say, I expect a full house to the midnight showing.

I have no idea when we'll be getting the prints, we're doing Eclipse digital but the other two on film. Our prints haven't travelled as far and wide as yours but still, worth a check after two years...

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 11:42 PM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're doing the triple. Twilight is on Bluray as no 35mm or DCP is available. New Moon is DCinema and we are playing Eclipse on 35mm.

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2010 01:26 AM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are they limiting the theatres that play it? I was really hoping to get them but was told I'm not in the top 2000 theatres so I could not get it.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2010 02:32 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opted not to do it based on the turn out when we played the first two back to back in November(?). We only had 9 people show up for the first film, but the midnight of the 2nd film sold out on 2 screens.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2010 04:27 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we're doing it, but only sold about 50 tickets for it, it will be interesting. I think its mostly about advertising and promoting it. Its in our smallest house right now and is probably going to stay there considering the sales so far. However we've got 5 theaters interlocked right now to one print which is almost sold out, opefully going to get all 10 theaters once we get word about how many prints we are getting

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2010 01:12 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex,

I do not think you are missing much. In a college town nearby with over 100,000 people, 2 theaters grossed $382 combined on Twilight! Another theater in a 50,000 market grossed $366. I think I would rather play my regular lineup instead.

You might offer to play them on Blu-Ray, that way it has absolutely no cost to them.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2010 04:59 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been told by our booker that both Twilight and New Moon will be on a hard drive. We're probably going to have to end up canceling a show to play these though as Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, plus whatever we're supposed to run in the afternoon probably wont' all fit on a Doremi. If the afternoon show is short MAYBE but I don't think it will work. We're not getting much business on a lot of our older movies so if we did have to cancel the afternoon show in that house it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2010 08:36 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Dragon 3D, Toy Story 3 3D, Knight and Day, and a crapload of trailers on a doremi. Only takes up 41% of our space.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-21-2010 09:07 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting how hit and miss the turn out was for Twilight before New Moon. My theatre typically does about 50% of the national average, but for Twilight (before New Moon) we were in the top 100 theatres nationwide.

We also received our prints this week, but I'm not going to put them together until after we deal with this week's openers and break down the films that are leaving. I just don't have enough centering rings to have that many prints built up at once.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2010 04:21 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
our print was pretty scratched up on the right hand side, other than that it was is decent shape. This is a 35mm print of "Twilight"

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2010 11:29 PM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our prints were in pretty bad condition.

anddd whoever gets our old print (0001),
Sorry about reel 3 being totally fucked.
Newbie booth girl tryed to run the film cleaner with absolutely
no media pads.
[thumbsup]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both Twilight and New Moon on hand. Both prints are fairly nice looking and splice free, other than heads and tails. New Moon, that I built today, was all tails out, so it was easy to run onto my 6K reels.

We were to understand that we were going to get all the films on hard drives, too. I'm relieved that at least 2 shows will go off without a hitch, now.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2010 12:47 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Althaus
I have Dragon 3D, Toy Story 3 3D, Knight and Day, and a crapload of trailers on a doremi. Only takes up 41% of our space.
How big is the hard drive(s) in your Doremi? The usable space on ours is 750 GB. Shrek 3D is 94gig, Twilight is 179, New Moon is 184, and Eclipse is 140. Add in about 20-25 gigs of trailers and you get a server that's 83% full-not as bad as I thought and should be doable, but still close considering its not recommended to fill the server HD more than 80% full.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: